how things should be shipped properly

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mapesdhs

Re: how things should be shipped properly

Unread postby mapesdhs » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:54 am

Yup, he positioned some pallets and other things to hold the base in place, but nothing further up. I did ask if that was wise, but he was confident. Ha! Ah well, made it ok thankfully, despite the fall.

dhjj

Unread postby dhjj » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Can't beat a double wall box on the outside with a 4" smaller box with your item on the inside with 2" (or better) of foam, bubble wrap or peanuts TIGHTLY PACKED. I've packed monitors and tezros like this and had any damage

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:36 am

Something to bear in mind is that not all packing peanuts are equal. There are types which are far too easily squeezed (ie. easily pressed, and they don't bounce back), often shaped as simple cylinders. These also don't lock together that well, allowing items to move around, and heavy items squash them underneath. I use the S-type or figure-8-type peanuts which are resistant to deformation. Here are some pictures of the easily squished type (these are often made from recycled materials):

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/squishy_chips1.jpg
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/squishy_chips2.jpg
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/squishy_chips3.jpg
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/squishy_chips4.jpg

and some pictures of the much better firm type:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/firm_chips1.jpg
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/firm_chips2.jpg
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/firm_chips3.jpg

One of the most common mistakes people make is not packing enough peanuts at the top of a box to take into account that the contents will settle in transit and be squished a bit anyway. Doing this means a gap appears at the top, which allows items to move around, and permits something above to press down and cause damage. It's best to pack a box so that when the box flaps are closed, they're bulging up just a little.

Foam also varies. Too stiff and it transmits shock forces through it far more than can go through a layer of peanuts. Too squishy and items will move around.

Also, using a box inside a box can have its own issues with certain items such as O2, which are very vulnerable to lateral forces. O2's base catches, front button connections, top lid catch and top lid locking spikes can all be snapped if there's too much sideways movement against a surface that's transmitting sufficient force, ie. being inside a smaller box can make the presence of the outer protection less effective. This doesn't matter with items such as Tezro which don't have plastic case designs that are vulnerable in this way (Octane is also reasonably immune). O2 is notorious for this though. Indigo2 is generally ok, though sometimes people forget that the locking bar should not be inside the case while in transit (it can press into the front flap). Main thing I do with Indigo2 is ensure there are extra bubblewrap layers over the front panel.

Also, I found early on that using bubblewrap with small size bubbles (1cm or less) is less effective for protecting larger items, ie. any complete system. The weight and density of large items means one needs enormous amounts of such bubblewrap to provide effective padding, and even then the barrier acts too much like a solid. Small-size bubblewrap is fine for parts and spares, but for systems I use larger sized bubblewrap (2cm bubbles) which works a lot more effectively. On O2, Octane, etc. I fit six layers of this, with pads above/below. I made how-to pictoral guides here:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/pics ... _an_O2.zip
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/pics ... octane.zip

Some heavier or larger parts though I also use larger size bubblewrap to pack, such as PSUs for Octane, motherboards, etc.

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute! Donations of items I can sell to provide funds are also welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)131 476 0796
+44 (0)7434 635 121

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:47 pm

mapesdhs wrote:Must have scared the heck out of the driver when it happened. :D

Ian.

Doubtful. More noise than a cyclist, sure, but nothing compared to running over a small hatchback. :D

silicium

Unread postby silicium » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:51 am

My Indigo2 came almost unpackaged and I was lucky to find intact front panel and only one cracked corner in the back.
I received a poor Sun D1000 packed in a single layer of cardboard. The front frame was bent from shocks on the side, and the fragile front door latch and hinge hooks were all broken (door should have been removed and well wrapped in two sheets of medium + big bubbles).
The Onyx2 boards I purchased from a pro reseller were well packed in reused Cisco routers boxes, like very large pizza box with black hard foam inside, and antistatic bags. It is a good protection against shocks on the edges but not against a sharp central poke.
:Indigo2IMP:extreme :Octane2:V8 :O200: :Onyx2:IR2e

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:39 pm

My latest packaging purchase. 8)

I get the foam chips and bubblewrap from globe_packaging on ebay. The per-unit prices drop quite a lot when ordering in bulk. 3x sacks of foam chips (45 cubic feet total) was 55, and three large-size bubblewrap rolls (each 1.5m wide, 50m long) was 77.90. I slice the bubblewrap rolls into three 0.5x50m pieces each, the perfect width for wrapping O2s, Octanes, Indys, Indigo2s, etc. Next is to move the whole lot into the attic.

Ian.

pauliedweasel

Unread postby pauliedweasel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:54 pm

I had this exact same thing happen with an SGI 540 back in 2005. The seller packed it incredibly well in a Compaq server pallet/box but still UPS managed to run a fork through the box missing the front panel by less than three inches. The thing that saved it was sheer random chance since the Compaq server that the box was intended to protect was quite a bit bigger than the 540 and the 540 had been packed in such a way that it was offset towards one side saving it from the wayward fork. Of the almost 30 540's I have bought over the years five suffered minor to major damage and one was totally destroyed including a badly bent chassis, the only thing I saved was the mobo due to it's being mounted on it's own under chassis. I also had one seller pack a beautiful zingy in a box and ship it to me... Just the box and the Indy plus the two to three inch air gap between all sides of the Indy and the box, absolutely no packing material of any kind. And when I messaged the seller about what had happened they didn't seem able to comprehend what they had done. Hopefully the negative feedback I left saved some other poor soul from the fate I suffered. It's experiences like these plus way to many others that helped me hone my packing skills.
Shiunbird wrote:I bought my IntelliStation 285 new in the box two years ago (got lucky - paid cheap), and the original IBM box is built like a tank, incredibly well packed.

And yet the transportation company managed to miss the pallet and one of the forks of the lift fork went through the box passing centimetres from the computer.

You can never be too careful.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm

So I recently shipped some classic hardware. And of course I wanted it to survive, so here's what I do:

Get some styrofoam insulation from Home Depot. It's reinforced with fiberglass wire inside. It's expensive but worth it.

Put some on the bottom of the box. It doesn't need to cover the entire bottom but has to be big enough to distribute shock. Put 3 layers of heavy duty bubble wrap over it.

Wrap the computer in a layer of pink (anti static) wrap. This will protect it from static.

Stuff bubble wrap, cardboard or newspaper around the sides. I usually lay them on their side in low and wide boxes.

Put 3 layers of bubble wrap and a piece of foam on top.

As one can tell, I hate packing peanuts and fiber envelopes with a passion.

That will make it so they can survive critical abuse. I used to use pack and ship services when I had carpal tunnel bad, but two years ago a combination of mild exercise, St John's Wort and better ergonomics at my desk have made my hands a lot stronger. Now, I'll pack all of my own shit even if it kills me hahaha.
Attachments
tmp_7418-IMG_20170405_1822371046005417.jpg
tmp_7418-IMG_20170405_1818011440759352.jpg
tmp_7418-IMG_20170405_1817462106413773.jpg
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:13 am

Cardboard round the sides is a bad idea, it doesn't absorb shocks, just passes them straight through. I'd use a bigger box, and hate peanuts you may but they work well in my experience. Also, not enough layers of bubblewrap, I use six layers (1" bubbles).

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute! Donations of items I can sell to provide funds are also welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)131 476 0796
+44 (0)7434 635 121

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:19 am

I've never had problems using it as a secondary packing structure. Also, I don't ship outside the US for big stuff. I've done it like this for over a year within the US no problem
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”