Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: SPARCstation IPC
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:45 pm 

SPARCstation IPC - fully loaded with 4MB SIMMS and GX framebuffer. No Mostek chip, so needs new one. Any interest?

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Post subject: Re: SPARCstation IPC
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:22 pm 

Some interest... I must not be looking in the right places locally, these ought to be out there propping open doors and such but... Reason being I have a hankering to fire up the Sprite research OS from Cal/UCB, which needs Sun4c or DECstations, and I think this and some other lunchbox systems would be the most power- and space-efficient way.

Perhaps this response will flush out some others locally...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm 

smj wrote:
Some interest... I must not be looking in the right places locally, these ought to be out there propping open doors and such but... Reason being I have a hankering to fire up the Sprite research OS from Cal/UCB, which needs Sun4c or DECstations, and I think this and some other lunchbox systems would be the most power- and space-efficient way.

Perhaps this response will flush out some others locally...

Ah, seems we're been staring at each other across the interminable gulf of Oregon. A while back I recall you posting an Alpha that sounded really nice.
Do keep in mind that a lunchbox Sun is much easier to ship!

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:35 am 

SAQ wrote:
Ah, seems we're been staring at each other across the interminable gulf of Oregon.

Well it's understandable, they're already overcrowded with former Californians - in fact the transplants are probably the most fervent ones patrolling the CA-OR border with poles to keep people out... ;)

Quote:
A while back I recall you posting an Alpha that sounded really nice.
Do keep in mind that a lunchbox Sun is much easier to ship!

I've turned up another couple of DECstation 3000/300LXs, though I'm not sure if I mentioned them here. I believe shipping one of those to Ian King in Seattle was right about $25 and that included the box and packing - the mailbox shop I use likes me because I give them tons of bubble wrap, peanuts, and air-paks to re-use.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:25 am 

It doesn't concern me, but the name DECstation was only used for MIPS based computers; the Alpha AXP series were labeled just "DEC 3000". sometimes that can cause confusion.