Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:14 pm 

Just came across this :

http://altoona.craigslist.org/ele/2828485061.html

Not mine but this is THE printer you want to find for any Unix. 11" x 17" PostScript color inkjet. It was sold as a Lexmark Optra 40 or 45 and as a Xerox Docuprint C20. Okay print quality, connects to anything from Irix to OS/2 to any os that can drive a PostScript printer (that's just about any of them.) No CUPS required !!!

I had one of the Xerox variety. It was good. Pretty quiet, oversized tabloid prints (can do "wide format color printing - up to 12.6" x 22", including full bleed graphics and crop marks" altho I can't imagine you'd do much serious print shop work, still useful), decent print quality.

This isn't mine. I'm still crying over the loss of my Xerox :(

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 pm 

Nice find. Your post inspired me to poke around my local Craigslist, and I found some guy looking to buy an SGI running IRIX 3.x for $250. Hmm... A member of our merry band, perhaps? http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/wan/2873567457.html

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:16 pm 

josehill wrote:
Nice find. Your post inspired me to poke around my local Craigslist, and I found some guy looking to buy an SGI running IRIX 3.x for $250. Hmm... A member of our merry band, perhaps? http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/wan/2873567457.html

If this were China we could start a "human flesh search" witch hunt :P

I'm still kind of surprised that there are so few PostScript inkjets. Back in the old days when they were all cheap junk, maybe it made sense. But now that some inkjets are pretty good (for a certain type of printing) it surprises me. I believe there is exactly one current model for sale ?

If you use anything besides Windows, PostScript is the ooooonly way to fly !

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:23 pm 

hamei wrote:
I'm still kind of surprised that there are so few PostScript inkjets. Back in the old days when they were all cheap junk, maybe it made sense. But now that some inkjets are pretty good (for a certain type of printing) it surprises me. I believe there is exactly one current model for sale ?

I had an old HP Deskjet 1600cm back in the day. A surprisingly affordable A4/Letter sized PostScript inkjet. No one would confuse its output for that of a current inkjet, but, for its time, it was rock solid. I ended up giving it away once I finally bought myself a color laser printer.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:51 pm 

josehill wrote:
I had an old HP Deskjet 1600cm back in the day. I ended up giving it away once I finally bought myself a color laser printer.

We bought a Xerox that I could move into if I ever become jobless but the inkjet is still useful for some things. Occasionally I like the rough textured paper that inkjets print on or it's handy to print a good glossy. I finally figured out how to print to it as a "virtual printer" from the SGI through the Windows box but that was a real adventure .... mostly the color laser is nice.

But for people who don't want a 200 lb printer, I'd really recommend one of these Lezmark / Xerox color postscript inkjets. They aren't much bigger than a normal modern Canon or Epson but print oversized tabloid and understand PostScript. Perfect for any Unix computer. And cheap :)

I can see why a printer birthed gnu :P

edit : You're right, the 1600cm would be a nice printer for SGI users. No tabloid but yes network and yes (emulated) postscript. Lots of people might like that better. What do you and nekonoko think about Yet Another Category in the hardware forum - "Accessories that work with most Irix boxes" or something ? Mice and keyboards are usually okay (oddballs could go in there tho like if someone got a twelve-button mouse to work) but printers, scanners, spaceballs and so on ? Monitors, maybe ? As it is, we can put the same accessory into all the Octane / Fuel / O2 categories but some stuff should work on a wider variety of hardware ... dumb idea ?

Or is that wiki material ? I often forget about the wiki :(