FS: Possibly for group buy

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
techgrrl

Re: FS: Possibly for group buy

Unread postby techgrrl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:28 am

Hi Folks -

I'm in for a Fuel - if anyone is setting up the buy, count me in for that and possibly more - there is an inherit problem with being unemployed.

Contact me when needed.

Cheers,
Karyn
techgrrl - Image ImageImage ImageImage Image - button pusher, point'n'clicker, photon collector

kjkociba

Unread postby kjkociba » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:22 am

I'm interested in spares for my tadpole sparcle 1000/1200 (Well Viper 1.2ghz but I'll take a working 400 - 650mhz mainboard to fix it)
FUEL 600mhz 1gig ram V12GFX 180ish gig of FibreStore Raid
Origin 2K 6x250 6.5gig of ram 9.1HDD

sbarton

Unread postby sbarton » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:45 am

Well, as someone who has purchased tons of vintage gear both for pleasure and for resale here is my experience. It's only worth what you can resale in a reasonable time frame. Also, the value of vintage gear doesn't track like say vintage cars. From my experience it appears to peak and then declines unless it's really really special and rare.

It seems to me that the most valuable bits in your lot are the higher spec Octanes/O2s/Fuels. The v12's and dcd's are the most resell-able items, but it's unclear how many there are. As for the dcd's, I don't doubt that they have sold for $1500, but realistically how many people will actually pay that and how long would it take to sell just those items to the greater SGI enthusiast community?

As someone who scans fleabay frequently for vintage gear, I see lots of O2s/Octanes/Indigo2's at dirt cheap prices that never sell.

The way I see it, this would be a good opportunity for someone who wan'ts to get into the SGI vintage gear resell business, who has the space, time, and has *years* to get ROI. And most importantly, can do all of this as a hobby.

The only other track is to count up all the valuable bits (dual 600 octanes/v12's/DCD's/Fuels) and see if you can turn a profit in a reasonable amount of time. I think for all the time and effort involved I would want to at least triple my money. I wonder what the prices would have to be to resell all of those bits in 6 mos.

Anyone ever watch Pawn Stars?

zackwatt

Unread postby zackwatt » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Did anything ever come of this?
:Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :O2: :O2+:

Octane2 2x600 V12 8GB
- Octane2 600 V12 2GB - Octane 2x400 V10 2GB
Indigo² 195 Max Impact 386MB - Indigo² 250 Extreme 386MB
O2 350 CRM 256MB - O2+ 400 CRM 512MB

"I'm totally unappreciated in my time. You can run this whole park from this room, with minimal staff, for up to three days. You think that kind of automation is easy? Or cheap? You know anybody who can network eight Connection Machines and de-bug two million lines of code for what I bid this job? Because if you can, I'd love to see him try."

clavileno

Unread postby clavileno » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:40 pm

I haven't been around in a while. Although I'm in the UK, if this lot is still available then I'll speak to a friend of mine state-side.

The logistics would be this: Book a shipping container to go to the OP's house, have somebody attend to pack it all up, have the container shipped to my friend's house in Washington State for resale.

A huge undertaking, but not completely outside the bounds of possibility.

Richtom1

Unread postby Richtom1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes everything is still available as a lot. One Nekochan member has expressed interest in the lot and I have talked with him a couple times via messages. Also, several other members have expressed interest in individual items As my original post mentioned my intentions are to have everything gone at once, hence the huge one time lot being offered.

The main reason I wanted to sell everything in one lot was so I could make room to actually live in my house without having to step around computers and be able to park a car in my garage. If I don't hear anything from that individual by mid week I will start to list a few items at a time here and try to liquidate everything (although much slower than selling as a lot).

Thanks for anyone who has expressed interest.

Richard

clavileno

Unread postby clavileno » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi Richard

Thanks for the email. I'll speak with my friend over there (I'm in the UK, so can't obviously deal with this - even if I got a container load sent over here, can you imagine the customs paperwork?! and at potentially as much as $7,000 for the shipping, it doesn't really seem worth it!) and see what can be achieved.

Regards

Silas

Richtom1

Unread postby Richtom1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:33 am

can you imagine the customs paperwork?! and at potentially as much as $7,000 for the shipping, it doesn't really seem worth it!)

HOLY CRAP :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would agree that it wouldn't be worth the huge expense involved to do it that way. The only way I could imagine anything like that to work is for someone stateside to get everything and keep it here. Then proceed to sell item worldwide as well as stateside, instead of shipping everything overseas together.

Richard

Richtom1

Unread postby Richtom1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:45 am

Well it's been over a week now and I still haven't heard from the individual who expressed interest in purchasing the lot. In fact his message is still in my outbox and unread so I don't know what has happened.

First I thought of lowering the price for the whole lot but doubt if that would make a difference since one of the problems is the logistics involved with me down here in sunny ole Florida.

I will begin contacting the people who messaged me via PM's (probably tonight since I am still working on cleaning out the garage). I will be heading up to Tennessee on Saturday morning turn around and get back here on Sunday morning. I doubt if I will have much time to get back to anyone until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week (With Monday taken up with doing all the needed paperwork on the car).

As per my original post please remember that with the quantity of items I have and being a hobbyist, I will be retesting everything before I sell it, have to obtain proper boxing and make trips to UPS or post office to get shipping quotes, all of which is very times consuming.

Thanks to all,
Richard

cb88

Unread postby cb88 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:43 pm

You wouldn't happen to have a SparcBook3 preferably a GX or TX in there somewhere would you? or anything else for 32bit sparcs for that matter... I'm in Charlotte NC which is right on top of I-85..

Richtom1

Unread postby Richtom1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Let me check I may have them.

Here's what I have:

Tadpole Viper.........................................................(1)
Tadpole Talin X86....................................................(5)
Tadpole SPARC Comet..............................................(3)
Tadpole SPARCLE 550SX...........................................(1)
Tadpole 1000G........................................................(1)
Sparcbook 3...........................................................(1)
Sparcbook 3TX........................................................(1)
Sparcbook............................................................. (1)
Sparcbook 3GX........................................................(3)
Sparcbook 3XP.........................................................(2)
Sparcbook 3000ST....................................................(1)
Sparcbook 2.............................................................(1)
3000XT....................................................................(1)
Naturetech 777S......missing lots...for parts....................(1)

I also have an TD Intergraph laptop but has a bad keyboard

Richard
Last edited by Richtom1 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cb88

Unread postby cb88 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Ah... what would you think a Sparcbook 3TX would be worth out of the $8k so I can start saving up if I haven't enough ;-) ?

Oh, and the penguin slap never gets old LOL.

Richtom1

Unread postby Richtom1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:10 am

Oh, and the penguin slap never gets old LOL

I agree

Ah... what would you think a Sparcbook 3TX would be worth

A good amount of the laptops are tucked away in a bedroom closet. I'll dig them out this coming week and have a look see so I can give you more info on them via PM.

I also have several hard and soft carrying cases both Pelican (IIRC) and Targus if you need one.

Richard

geo

Unread postby geo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:17 am

hi richtom :) im also interested to get one of your SPARC based laptop, can you please send me a price list for these nice things? :)
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein

bw

Unread postby bw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Having just seen this lot in person, it is truly amazing. Tons (probably literally) of good stuff.

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”