600Mhz Octane2's from SGI

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
ipaddict

Unread postby ipaddict » Wed May 02, 2007 7:10 pm

recondas wrote:Go ahead - it'd be interesting to see what part numbers and revisions are in yours <these were probably built at or near the end of Octane production> It might answer some questions for people searching part numbers before they upgrade or buy.

Well, then here you go. :wink:

cinenate35

Unread postby cinenate35 » Wed May 02, 2007 7:44 pm

Hey Guys,

I talked to a sales rep today on the phone and they told me that all these Octane's were build for a specific deal that never materialized so now they are trying to off load them...bad for them, good for us! Thought I would share. :D

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Wed May 02, 2007 7:52 pm

ipaddict wrote:Well, then here you go. :wink:

It's already interesting - the V12s both of the remarketed specials are identified in the hinv as ODY128B1_2 instead of the more typical <for an Octane> ODY128VERSIONB.

ODY128B1_2 turns up more often in Fuel and Tezro hinvs <different part numbers, tho>. Wonder what, if anything, has changed?
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

AX

Unread postby AX » Wed May 02, 2007 8:49 pm

I love the orange and blue O2 mock up - sweeeeeeeeet. Daddy likey.

ipaddict

Unread postby ipaddict » Wed May 02, 2007 9:06 pm

recondas wrote:
ipaddict wrote:Well, then here you go. :wink:

It's already interesting - the V12s both of the remarketed specials are identified in the hinv as ODY128B1_2 instead of the more typical <for an Octane> ODY128VERSIONB.

ODY128B1_2 turns up more often in Fuel and Tezro hinvs <different part numbers, tho>. Wonder what, if anything, has changed?

Yes, indeed. Two Fuels and Two (quad!) Tezros, according to Google. Although at least one of those pair could be the same machine and/or board. Both of my other V12s report the latter description in hinv. Interesting.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed May 02, 2007 9:16 pm

It's also a newer rev than the V12 in my Fuel - mine has "BUZZ version B.1" while yours has "BUZZ version B.2".
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

ipaddict

Unread postby ipaddict » Thu May 03, 2007 9:28 am

I got my invoice via email, just now. Broken down by line item, the Octane2 only cost $295! :shock:

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Thu May 03, 2007 1:14 pm

Now all we need to do is figure out how to convince SGI that we are a huge company that wants to buy 100 tezro's. Then we back out and BAM, cheap tezro flyer! :P

ipaddict

Unread postby ipaddict » Thu May 03, 2007 1:25 pm

VenomousPinecone wrote:Now all we need to do is figure out how to convince SGI that we are a huge company that wants to buy 100 tezro's. Then we back out and BAM, cheap tezro flyer! :P

:D :twisted:

My point above was: if we could convince them that we "needed" a machine for parts, we could get brand-new, fully-functional hardware for under $300.

cicero

Unread postby cicero » Fri May 04, 2007 3:00 am

Did anybody asked a SGI sales rep if this nice special offer is available in Europe too? The remarketed weekly specials list contains an Octane2 (600 MHz R14k, V12) under Item Nr. 210 for EUR 968. In the warehouse clearance list you can find the Octane2 under item nr 1415. Is the PDF Flyer with this special offer somewhere available online?

niker

Unread postby niker » Fri May 04, 2007 3:09 am

So these are now at $295?
Anyone knows if it is possible to get them to Europe?

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Fri May 04, 2007 3:29 am

niker wrote:So these are now at $295?

No - that's the invoice value assigned to the hardware <plus $300 for IRIX for a total of $595>.

I asked a lot of questions when I called, there were things you could add <at "normal" pricing, tho>, but I don't think they'll separate them or lower the price. They probably don't need to. I called again yesterday and the sales rep told me they were selling *very* well - they expected to run out soon. Sales pitch? Maybe, but I wouldn't wait too long if you want one - this topic is probably been better advertising than they could have paid for.

niker wrote:Anyone knows if it is possible to get them to Europe?

You might ask Geoman, he advised he'd ordered one <but didn't think they'd ship to Europe>.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

ipaddict

Unread postby ipaddict » Fri May 04, 2007 8:37 am

recondas wrote:I asked a lot of questions when I called, there were things you could add <at "normal" pricing, tho>, but I don't think they'll separate them or lower the price. They probably don't need to. I called again yesterday and the sales rep told me they were selling *very* well - they expected to run out soon. Sales pitch? Maybe, but I wouldn't wait too long if you want one - this topic is probably been better advertising than they could have paid for.

As did I, and I completely agree. However, with these 90 Octane2 units getting on the market at such a low price point, this whole campaign should have at least _some_ effect on the overall valuation of an Octane2. At the very least, this provides a reference for us to compare what SGI _would_ sell them for against what dealers and hobbyists are paying (minus the IRIX media).

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri May 04, 2007 10:47 am

ipaddict wrote: However, with these 90 Octane2 units getting on the market at such a low price point, this whole campaign should have at least _some_ effect on the overall valuation of an Octane2. At the very least, this provides a reference for us to compare what SGI _would_ sell them for against what dealers and hobbyists are paying (minus the IRIX media).

Mmm, doesn't seem like you can say that ... it seems more as if someone saw the furor over scrapping all that other stuff and realized that $60,000 income was better than $10,000 loss or whatever it cost them to scrap all those other goodies. So the value is really an anomaly ... really good deal tho. Maybe someone is starting to grow common sense over there. Yippee !

Geoman
Donor
Donor

No, they don't...

Unread postby Geoman » Fri May 04, 2007 4:12 pm

...ship to Europe. I ordered one but got no reply at all. It's simply forbidden for them to sell not RoHS compliant stuff to EU countries :cry:

You might ask Geoman, he advised he'd ordered one <but didn't think they'd ship to Europe>.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”