New life for older big SGI Iron?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
artherd

New life for older big SGI Iron?

Unread postby artherd » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:13 pm

Canon XL HDV camera supports 4:2:2 UNCOMPRESSED HD-SDI output at 60i, and 24F (aka 24p) !

Hrm, I should look for an XT-HDIO option!
My first Indy is still my favourite SGI.
CDglobal Networks: http://www.cdglobal.net/

foetz

Re: New life for older big SGI Iron?

Unread postby foetz » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:21 pm

artherd wrote:Canon XL HDV camera supports 4:2:2 UNCOMPRESSED HD-SDI output at 60i, and 24F (aka 24p) !

Hrm, I should look for an XT-HDIO option!

sounds VERY nice :D
maybe you can post some frames then...

choza

Re: New life for older big SGI Iron?

Unread postby choza » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:23 pm

artherd wrote:Canon XL HDV camera supports 4:2:2 UNCOMPRESSED HD-SDI output at 60i, and 24F (aka 24p) !

Canon XL-H1, yes, but you will need to do that while filming, cos it is down sampled on the mini-dv tape, then pulled up to the output with the consequence of loosing quality...

better go with the new Panasonic HVX-200, which really records 4:2:2 in those new P2 cards ( :cough: expensive ones :cough: but will lower in the future, for now you can use "cheap" firestore, but the ability to record on the fly is still unknown as far as i know)
on the other hand the pany only has analog output in 4:2:2 which would require A/D converter, again quality is lost, but less than the Canon side.
As a plus the new Pany records DVCPRO 50 and DVCPRO HD, (the one used on varicam big sister) if you ask me this is a GREAT camera, it also records in mini DV in SD and heard it was NTSC/PAL at the same time in SD, and again it has a wide variety of record settings for the HD...
I want one for the "Reyes Magos" January 6...
for more info: http://www.dvinfo.com and enter the community forums, plenty of info one these 2 cams and sneak previews of the quality
artherd wrote:Hrm, I should look for an XT-HDIO option!

been looking for one too, but ebay prices still HIGH!! very indeed 2500 and up
beware also on the cam, it cost around 10k!
cheers

Return to “SGI: Hardware”