what situations would an onyx1 beat a modern PC???

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:03 am

The Keeper wrote:In all seriousness, it's my understanding that some of the video stream capabilities of the Onyx are still unmatched in the PC world. Like being able to wrap an HD stream around a spinning object or something to that effect?

Is this still the case?

Never tried that on an onyx. We manage at the moment to render at approx 30fps when decoding 2 1280x768 25fps videos on dual xeon with fx3400. Not too shabby for a bad pc :wink: I guess there is still room for optimizations e.g. uploading the texture as yuv instead rgb and displaying it with a shader.

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

artherd

Unread postby artherd » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:25 pm

You're thinking of the Onyx2 for HDTV capability (THAT architecture is still quite unmatched in the PC world.)

But the Onyx1 IR, except for FULL SCENE 8x AA, has basically been equaled. Hey it only took a decade.
My first Indy is still my favourite SGI.
CDglobal Networks: http://www.cdglobal.net/

MattPayne

Unread postby MattPayne » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:05 am

cool... :) well i collect my Onyx1 IR on monday :Dnice to see its nor been totally trounced by the PC world! :) BZ flag should run ok I guess...

where can i find some funky simulator or something software? or all those bespoke applications costing millions??!!

what do i load to show off the capabilities to my friends that are gonna sak 'well what does it do for the size??!!' :D

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:04 am

MattPayne wrote:what do i load to show off the capabilities to my friends that are gonna sak 'well what does it do for the size??!!' :D

Show em this one while running seti on each processor :wink:

Matthias

MattPayne

Unread postby MattPayne » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:07 am

Brombear wrote:
MattPayne wrote:what do i load to show off the capabilities to my friends that are gonna sak 'well what does it do for the size??!!' :D

Show em this one while running seti on each processor :wink:

Matthias

god! dont!!! :) i was reading in the manual that the nominal power usage was 1,900 watts!!! :shock: i supose half that again on full power!!! :D

im gonna be keeping my eyes out, see if the street lights dim when i power the beast up!!!!

i dont think i will be using this as my webserver!!! :lol:

Brombear

Unread postby Brombear » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:15 am

Show them the cool lcd cpu meter dancing around ... pcs nowadays only have some aftermarket temperature control

Matthias

artherd

Unread postby artherd » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:16 pm

Expect more like 800watts for a pretty loaded box, SGI's figures are hugely safety-margined.
My first Indy is still my favourite SGI.

CDglobal Networks: http://www.cdglobal.net/

thegoldbug

Unread postby thegoldbug » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:05 pm

With regards to number crunching, my 12 processor R-10K Challenge L deskside was beating my Dell Inspiron 8200 P4M 1.8Ghz laptop running Distributed.net OGR25 for total packets crunched. Of course, the SGI had to be running for a couple of days for enough packets to cycle thru those 12 CPUs to pass the laptop.

30 processors in my XL (tower) spanked my laptop hard (something like 32 Million per second to 6.6 Million per second (5x faster)) and heated my whole garage in winter. Of course, there was hell to pay when the monthly power bill came.

I like the furniture aspect as I have one L for a tv stand and two for end tables. Try that with a beige box.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots

MattPayne

Unread postby MattPayne » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:58 am

Goldbug - thats what i like to hear!!! :D

my SGi's are purely at home for nostala and novelty value... i dont have the need or ability to really use them for much more! but i do like the idea of owning a computer that was once worth a more than my parents 5 bedroom sea front house!!! :D

Return to “SGI: Hardware”