FIBER CHANNEL CARD STATS

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Digishaman

FIBER CHANNEL CARD STATS

Unread postby Digishaman » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:10 am

Hi!

I was wondering if there was any way to get a readout from a fiber channel card in Irix. IE: I have a 2Gig card and would like to verify if it is operating at 2gig.

QLA 2302F

thx

Digi

joerg
Donor
Donor

Re: FIBER CHANNEL CARD STATS

Unread postby joerg » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:23 am

Digishaman wrote:Hi!

I was wondering if there was any way to get a readout from a fiber channel card in Irix. IE: I have a 2Gig card and would like to verify if it is operating at 2gig.

QLA 2302F

thx

Digi

Run the diskperf benchmark and see if you get more than 95mb/s which is the number for 1gig FC.

regards
Joerg

Digishaman

Unread postby Digishaman » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:20 am

Good tip, yeah I`m getting a bit more than that. Would you happen to know if it is possible to get at a qlogic card`s bios settings in irix by any chance. I know IRIX loads it`s own bios, I`m wondering if this is modifiable.

thx for the info!

Digi

artherd

Unread postby artherd » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:33 pm

I don't think you can change the bios, what do you specifically want the card to do that it does not currently do?

If you're getting >100MB/sec, then you're DEFINATELY opperating at 2gig! :)
My first Indy is still my favourite SGI.
CDglobal Networks: http://www.cdglobal.net/

Digishaman

Unread postby Digishaman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:04 am

Thx for the reply. Yeah this is a mystery for me.

The thing is I have 8 drives, testing a single drive`s speed gives 30-50 MB/s

4 striped raid-0 give me like 105MB/s ... what I don`t get yet is why if I add 3 more drives to the stripe, the speed goes up to 126 MB/s....

Kinda strange...

30-50 MB/s * 7 drives = 210-350 MB/s? Or am I dreaming this up.... I heard Octane didn`t have a bus concept like a peecee...

That`s currently my beef with my 2302F

thx

Digi

Satoru

Unread postby Satoru » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:19 am

Octane is not based on a bus, but FC is.
And each controller (on the adapter and on each disk) has its own ability to deal with a loaded bus.

It happened to me on a scsi bus with adaptec controller: making parallel transfers with two quantum disks performed better than with 2 quantum and 1 WD in parallel! So is not only theory the bus management issue.

On top of that if youre striping you have either the octane or the controller on the disk box dealing with chunking the data and this may limit you.

Bye
Marco/Sat

Return to “SGI: Hardware”