sgi320 users: BEWARE

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
unixmuseum

sgi320 users: BEWARE

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:38 am

Just a little piece of information. which hopefully would help you guys avoid some major disapointment: there is some "rare, hard to find" sgi320 memory on ebay with an sgi P/N 9210137B. The seller is acting like he doesn't know anything about it, only that someone told him it was 512MB for 6 modules...

I couldn't find much (if anything at all) on google about this part number, but 9210136B is 512MB for 6 modules... I told myself that if it's a higher P/N, it could be a newer version of 36B... WRONG! This is 128MB (at least that's what my 320 tells me, no error reported).

A month ago, someone spent $85 on this! Made me feel good as I only spent half of that, but it still pisses me off...

The seller is quality_techs, who coincidentally is selling sgi320 in pieces (I guess he doesn't know about the 320, right!).

This 128MB is going to make it on ebay as I already have 512MB filling my two banks, unless someone is interested for $30+S/H...

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really tired of PC stuff on ebay. Over half of the time it's junk or a scam. On the other hand, in all these years I've bought UNIX stuff on ebay, I've had only one bad experience...

GeneratriX

Nice Catch!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:38 am

Nice catch! ;)

ruckusman

Unread postby ruckusman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:38 am

That's a bummer, he probably sold you the same one he sold before and had to take back, do the same thing I did to robobidder and point out his fraudelent behaviour with a question which then gets posted on to the actual auction page.

Shame you didn't ask here as I've got a 128MB kit here with exactly that part number.

Glenn

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:46 am

ruckusman wrote:That's a bummer, he probably sold you the same one he sold before and had to take back, do the same thing I did to robobidder and point out his fraudelent behaviour with a question which then gets posted on to the actual auction page.

Yeah, it's really a shitty behavior...
ruckusman wrote:Shame you didn't ask here as I've got a 128MB kit here with exactly that part number.

Glenn

A shame it is! So I was already banging my head against the wall, I am now going to kick myself too!!!! SHITE!!! Now, would you like another 128MB set? :lol:
What a pain this sgi320 upgrade is: first the VRM that doesn't work (the seller is really asking for a negative feedback by blowing me off), then this 128MB crap, and now my 256MB set doesn't want to work anymore!!!! I can't stand it! sgi really had a great machine, but they really screwed up on the execution! It's 10 times easier to upgrade an Octane!!!!

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:27 am

I've found a lot of sellers that claim they don't know what they're selling - but I'm pretty sure that's just a hook used to make bidders think they're potentially getting a good deal due to the seller's "ignorance".

Unfortunately I've received my share of UNIX crap on eBay too so it's not a PC only thing.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

ruckusman

Unread postby ruckusman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:33 am

I've already posted a question about the memory capacity, so I'm going to see if I can't fuck up his day when he replies. Didn't see my question posted to his auction page yet, we'll see...

I hate this shit with baiting and deliberate mis-information, so if he gives me a bullshit answer about the memory capacity I might just contact the high bidder and tell him that's it's a 128MB kit and leave it at that.

Glenn

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:34 am

nekonoko wrote:I've found a lot of sellers that claim they don't know what they're selling - but I'm pretty sure that's just a hook used to make bidders think they're potentially getting a good deal due to the seller's "ignorance".

Yeah, the good old trick of "I don't know what it is" and "as-is" which apparently entitles people to lie and sell crap on ebay...
I was kind of surprised by the lack of fighting on this one, should have taken some precautions... The thing that made me hopeful was the previous win was for $85, so I assumed they knew something I didn't know... Oh well... $40 later, I succesfully ugraded my 320 from 512MB to 384MB (as one of the modules composing the 256MB apparently didn't like being pulled out).
nekonoko wrote:Unfortunately I've received my share of UNIX crap on eBay too so it's not a PC only thing.

I guess there are crooks everywhere... It's probably the same ratio, the crowd selling PCs is just bigger...
Last edited by unixmuseum on Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruckusman

Unread postby ruckusman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:40 am

Forgot to mention, blow the memory slots clean, and reseat them.

If it's the first set count the number of flashed on the front LED and it will tell you which DIMM is the offender by the number of flashes.

Left to right they are

1 4

CPU's 2 5

3 6

Apparently this only works for the first six.

Re-seating usually solves the problem, for me anyway

Glenn

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:40 am

ruckusman wrote:I've already posted a question about the memory capacity, so I'm going to see if I can't fuck up his day when he replies. Didn't see my question posted to his auction page yet, we'll see...

I hate this shit with baiting and deliberate mis-information, so if he gives me a bullshit answer about the memory capacity I might just contact the high bidder and tell him that's it's a 128MB kit and leave it at that.

Glenn

Good! I contacted the poor bastard who won the previous one (which I tried to get too), we'll see if he replies... The one that really puzzles me is the winner at $85 that left positive feedback... Must have been a mutual back-rubbing without after return & refund...

If he doesn't reply to you, I will put the kit on ebay with a title big enough that he won't be able to lie anymore...

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:46 am

ruckusman wrote:Forgot to mention, blow the memory slots clean, and reseat them.

If it's the first set count the number of flashed on the front LED and it will tell you which DIMM is the offender by the number of flashes.

Left to right they are

1 4

CPU's 2 5

3 6

Apparently this only works for the first six.

Re-seating usually solves the problem, for me anyway

Glenn

I'm trying, I'm trying... swapped everything around and seem to get semi-consistency in failures/successes...

The @$#@$#@$ 128MB kit goes in just fine, the 256 doesn't!

I'm pretty sure I have the culprit pair though... This memory hadn't moved since its installation for tech marketing, and has always worked AOK.
DARN IT!!!

Intel-OUTSIDE

Unread postby Intel-OUTSIDE » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:20 am

this kind of thing is getting bad, we should start a "sticky" thread here with a blacklist of who and why.

a have to say though that unix sellers are much better than the "pc & mac" bastards.

one guy (who may regognise himself from this description) accidentally sent me a whole teal indigo2 by mistake (with the stuff i won).

he actually apologised and had a courior collect it even though the courior must have cost more than he wanted for the I2!!!

ruckusman

Unread postby ruckusman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:27 am

I love the idea of the sticky blacklist :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Unixmuseum, SGI's are women, at least mine are, in behaviour that is, and they absolutely won't respond favourably to bad moods, that's a man's job for when his woman is pissed at him.

Now, you're going to have to take a break, think happy thoughts, come back apologise, and try again.

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:46 am

ruckusman wrote:I love the idea of the sticky blacklist :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sticky blacklist is an absolute must! Excellent suggestion Intel!

ruckusman wrote:Unixmuseum, SGI's are women, at least mine are, in behaviour that is, and they absolutely won't respond favourably to bad moods, that's a man's job for when his woman is pissed at him.

Now, you're going to have to take a break, think happy thoughts, come back apologise, and try again.

I think you're right... I'm going to make another try this morning...

wolflord

Unread postby wolflord » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:44 am

While a blacklist might do some good...but not too much since they can always make another user. What might also be good, is to try and do a fairly decent part number list/database; since some part #'s just don't turn up a thing on google or anywhere else really. I know I've seen some part numbers that didn't register at all, fortunatly that turned out to work to my favor.
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure

unixmuseum

Unread postby unixmuseum » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:24 pm

wolflord wrote:While a blacklist might do some good...but not too much since they can always make another user. What might also be good, is to try and do a fairly decent part number list/database; since some part #'s just don't turn up a thing on google or anywhere else really. I know I've seen some part numbers that didn't register at all, fortunatly that turned out to work to my favor.

That's also a good suggestion... I like that idea... Once thing we might want to do is list our hardware P/N and do a cross reference... Actually, the "hinv" forum is a good starting point...

Return to “SGI: Hardware”