Questions about octane...

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
bobflappy

Questions about octane...

Unread postby bobflappy » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:04 am

Hi everybody, i would like to know a few things about octane :

* is it silent?

* what is the most affordabe graphic subsystem?

* does it have 13w3 or HD15 video outpout? (or both)

* does dual CPU systems have one or two cpu modules?
(i mean : when you have a single cpu system, do you have to change your cpu module with a dual cpu module, or do you have to buy a seconde module to install it with the first one?)

Thanks! :D

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions about octane...

Unread postby nekonoko » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:11 pm

To start, you might find this page of interest: http://www.btinternet.com/~mfinbow/Octane_Information/index.html

* is it silent?

No :) They're actually louder than the Indigo2. O2s are nice and quiet though.

* what is the most affordabe graphic subsystem?

SE/SI are the bottom end Octane graphics and equivalent to Solid IMPACT on the Indigo2; smallish frame buffer and no texture support. However unlike Solid IMPACT you can add a texture module. If you upgrade to SSI/SSE you can keep your texture module, add one more and make MXI/MXE. Just be sure you start out with the graphics series you want to keep since the the texture modules aren't interchangable between I/E series. I'd start out with SE on the low end and work up from there.

* does it have 13w3 or HD15 video outpout? (or both)

MGRAS graphics have 13w3 only (SI,SSI,MXI/SE,SSE,MXE). VPro has both 13w3 and HD15.

* does dual CPU systems have one or two cpu modules?
(i mean : when you have a single cpu system, do you have to change your cpu module with a dual cpu module, or do you have to buy a seconde module to install it with the first one?)

One CPU module. You would have to replace the single with a dual module if you wanted to upgrade.

Octanes are great machines; I'd get one myself but I don't want a low end system and I haven't found the "right" machine just yet :) (Ideally I'd like at least a dual R12000/300 with MXE graphics)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

max_impact

Unread postby max_impact » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:43 pm

You're not alone there! A dual R12000 Octane with MXE or better would make a fantastic workstation, but you need to be able to stomach the pricetag :shock:

If I was to give any advice about which to buy, I'd concede that the Indigo2 is a great machine but I'd go with the Octane every time as they tend to perform noticeably better at the same clock speed. Another point is they have an upgrade path 8)

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:51 pm

max_impact wrote:You're not alone there! A dual R12000 Octane with MXE or better would make a fantastic workstation, but you need to be able to stomach the pricetag :shock:

If I was to give any advice about which to buy, I'd concede that the Indigo2 is a great machine but I'd go with the Octane every time as they tend to perform noticeably better at the same clock speed. Another point is they have an upgrade path 8)

I agree, but if you already have a nice Indigo2 (Max IMPACT/w TRAM, R10000/195) there isn't a lot of point in getting a low end Octane either :)
All Rights Reserved.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:21 pm

That's my dilema, too...

I have a really bitchin I2 but no TRAMs for my MI, that does leave me with a tiny bit of room for "upgrades" but I have been holding out for a nice Octane as well. Looks like I'll be having a few more people to compete with while I'm window shopping. (:

max_impact

Unread postby max_impact » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:51 pm

Absolutely... for first time buyers Octane is the way to go but it's harder for us ol' timers with an I2 who aren't so easily tempted by the cheap memory or hard drive upgrades available for the Octane.

How about thinking of it this way: MI boards fetch a good price on ebay, as do 195 I2s, so you'd probably raise enough to get an Octane with single R12000 and SSE.... :wink:

bobflappy

Unread postby bobflappy » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:44 am

OK, thanks for the answers and for the link.

I have an O2, and it's a lovely, little and quite silent workstation i use for some daily tasks, and some multimedia content creation.

From what you all say, i'm not sure that Octane would bring me something i can't do with my O2 at the moment , with the exception of 3d software (that i don't have).

I'm not that old in the sgi world, so, for the moment, O2 is what i need. I'll think once again about Octane when i'll have more skills.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:09 pm

Shtoink wrote:That's my dilema, too...

I have a really bitchin I2 but no TRAMs for my MI, that does leave me with a tiny bit of room for "upgrades" but I have been holding out for a nice Octane as well. Looks like I'll be having a few more people to compete with while I'm window shopping. (:

You could always make a Indigo2 GigaRAM system for a future upgrade :)

I'm planning on it one of these days, if for nothing else then to say I had 1GB RAM in an Indigo2.
All Rights Reserved.

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:20 pm

Yeah...

That's on the list of things to do, but also on the list of things I can't afford at the moment.
Man, SGI's can be an expensive hobby.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”