PI overhaul...

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Shtoink

PI overhaul...

Unread postby Shtoink » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:38 pm

I have a PI at home maxed out with 128MB ram and the 35MHZ R3k, I am intersted in trying to see if the rumor I had heard was ture. I had read someplace that someone was successful in dropping one of the older R4x00 150MHZ chips into the PI to give big 'ol speed boost. I have friend on mine locally with a small hoard of PI's and the older teal I2's that is willing to help me out with this project.

The only downfall is his work schedule... So it might be a bit before I can even catch him at home. I'd like to know if anyone else had heard of such a thing being successful.

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:02 am

A PI is also called a Personal Iris (IP7), not to be confused with the Iris Indigo (Indigo1, IP12 and IP20). It is known that a Indigo1 which has R4K IP20 can take a Indigo2 R4400 module at 200 Mhz, by using the small heatsink. Machines which have R3K can in my view never be modified to take R4K modules, unless there is some weerd magic trick out there.

R3K Indigo's can be upgraded to R4K Indigo's, but it requires a Mobo,
Backplane and PSU replacement, so this is definately not recommended.

As for PI's... no idea :(

akimmet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby akimmet » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:37 pm

I believe the max in a r4k Indigo is 150MHz, all r4k cpus faster than 150MHz are 3.3v, and incompatable with the Indigo's cpu bus, and no Personal Iris ever had a r4k cpu in it.

Only two machines of that era had a r4k, and that was the Iris Crimson and Iris Indigo. There were many Personal Irises and some were IP12 too, and had almost the same kind of hardware as an r3k Indigo (except GFX), but had a very different form factor.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”