How does a V12 compare to an Onyx2Reality or IR2 ?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
OSWebman
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:20 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

How does a V12 compare to an Onyx2Reality or IR2 ?

Unread postby OSWebman » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:05 pm

Out of curiousity, how would V-12 and the V-Pro series compare with the now 5-6 year old Reality series of graphics for Onyx 2's?
It seems to me from this link:
http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/o ... 2comp.html
That the V-Pro series highend should be comparable to the basic Reality config. for Onyx2's. Any thoughts? Anyone have any numbers for comparison?
thanks,
Eugene Redko

User avatar
The Keeper
Posts: 1632
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:23 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: How does a V12 compare to an Onyx2Reality or IR2 ?

Unread postby The Keeper » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:17 pm

It's not just a function of speed, when comparing the V12 to an IR, it's also a function of capability -- the Onyx family was designed to be able to do wacky things like take a streaming high def video and wrap it as a texture around a spinning object. Kinda hard to do that with a V12, which is basically just a really fast graphics card.

I don't know anything about speed, I just wanted to offer that tidbit.


Chris


OSWebman wrote:Out of curiousity, how would V-12 and the V-Pro series compare with the now 5-6 year old Reality series of graphics for Onyx 2's?
It seems to me from this link:
http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/o ... 2comp.html
That the V-Pro series highend should be comparable to the basic Reality config. for Onyx2's. Any thoughts? Anyone have any numbers for comparison?
thanks,
Eugene Redko

jdboyd
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:47 am
Location: Southern PA

Re: How does a V12 compare to an Onyx2Reality or IR2 ?

Unread postby jdboyd » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:01 pm

The Keeper wrote:It's not just a function of speed, when comparing the V12 to an IR, it's also a function of capability -- the Onyx family was designed to be able to do wacky things like take a streaming high def video and wrap it as a texture around a spinning object. Kinda hard to do that with a V12, which is basically just a really fast graphics card.


Are you sure it is hard to do that with the V12? The V12 certainly has the bus bandwidth and TRAM capacity to pull off the stunt you describe. I mean, you can pull of the trick you describe for SDI instead of HD going back as far as impact on an I2 or on an O2, and the V12 and the machines it runs in are certainly 7.5 (6 times more pixels, plus 25% more bits per pixel) times faster. Plus, how do you think Discreet's Flame system does 3D HD compositing? Mapping HD video onto 3D surfaces on a V12 on either an Octane2 or Tezro.

User avatar
The Keeper
Posts: 1632
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:23 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: How does a V12 compare to an Onyx2Reality or IR2 ?

Unread postby The Keeper » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:08 pm

jdboyd wrote:Are you sure it is hard to do that with the V12? The V12 certainly has the bus bandwidth and TRAM capacity to pull off the stunt you describe. I mean, you can pull of the trick you describe for SDI instead of HD going back as far as impact on an I2 or on an O2, and the V12 and the machines it runs in are certainly 7.5 (6 times more pixels, plus 25% more bits per pixel) times faster. Plus, how do you think Discreet's Flame system does 3D HD compositing? Mapping HD video onto 3D surfaces on a V12 on either an Octane2 or Tezro.


I might have chosen an incorrect example, but suffice it to say, the Onyx systems were designed to be able to do certain things that an Octane could only dream of doing.

If this were not the case, then there wouldn't really be much point to the existance of the Onyx families, if the mid-range workstations could do everything that the high-end graphical supercomputers could do.

Check Ian's site for more information, regarding comparisons of high-end Octanes to low-end Onyx2's.


Chris

Brombear
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:42 am
Location: Frankfurt (Rhein-Main Area) / Germany
Contact:

Unread postby Brombear » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:42 am

A V-Pro ist the best choice if you need raw polygon power. If you need quality graphics (read antialiasing) you are better off with an onyx.

Regards

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Unread postby foetz » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:48 pm

hello,

as we all know speed is subjective.
raw values rarely represent reality.

some time ago i made a fly-through demo for an exhibition. just shaded. taget was maya ple
with geforce4-mx. docs said geforce4-mx has ~32m/s triangles. demo was made with mxe.
demo ran nice with the mxe but wasn't useable with the geforce.
according to the docs v6/8 "only" have 7.4m/s so mxe must be below! you see...


however, onyx2 has a real gfx system not just one card. so you can expand and configure
much more. further the texture speed is much better. also think of hardware aa and stuff, 2 outputs
are standard and more cpus. even craylinkable with an origin.
if you can get one onyx2 is the choice. it's a real big iron ;-)


Return to “SGI: Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest