Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: SGI case mods
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:54 pm 

Wanted to start such a thread for some time now, so here it is. I hope this thread will feature some nice/ugly/amazing case mods with SGI cases, both with SGI hardware in it as well as PC stuff thrown in (Gack!) Please add some comments about those case mods, or what you would do with an SGI case and lots of spare time...

This one got me pretty scared: http://mashie.glassbil.net/casemods/oenone01.htm

Enjoy :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:30 pm 

A second one i just dug up, and not one of the well known case mods (Challenge Refrigerator, SGI-addict indigo casemod) is a PC system inside an indy. Does that fit? According to this Japanese page it does...

http://www.yk.rim.or.jp/~mel_kbt/mel_id.html

Alas, my japanese is a bit rusty, so i'll point to the two pictures i could find on the page:

http://www.yk.rim.or.jp/~mel_kbt/indy_i.jpg

and

http://www.yk.rim.or.jp/~mel_kbt/indy_b.jpg

I personally think this is an ugly one, considering it could be an R5000 in there :cry:

And to make things even worse, consider this botched mod:

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~jt151/pc/indy/indy.htm

Oh no, did you see that HOLE for the floppy eject button? That's equivalent to cow mutilation :evil:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:02 pm 

good god...
That O2 case mod is...

Well, partially crazy, and partially sad that he would put PC parts inside of it :(

Post subject: Re: SGI case mods
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:53 am 

dexter1 wrote:

This guy has done an incredible amount of work.

Post subject: Re: SGI case mods
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's another one for the collection:

http://www.tiger-marmalade.com/~james/iris_indigo/

I think it's pretty funny how he wrestled the metal chassis out of the plastic skin like that ... it's only held in by two pressure tabs on the case bottom (it just slides out once they are pressed in).

:)

All Rights Reserved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:18 am 

I had seen the Iris Indigo one. but those Indy mods are nasty! I like the quality of work that guy pu into the O2 mod, but the rear of the case is my complaint. Iwas looking very clean until you turn it around, he could have at least made the back look much nicer than he did. He could have recreated the original shape with little effort and still used the original fan grill.

orion has a cool mod for one of his Indys, he put a Zip drive in his instead of the Flopticle drive. Last I heard, he just needs to clean up the hole on the side a little to make room for the larger zip disks.

I don't have any room to talk about defiling things, taking in to consideration I have done a similar mod with a Sun 911 external HDD case that's now a functional computer.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:13 pm 

vegac wrote:
good god...
That O2 case mod is...

Well, partially crazy, and partially sad that he would put PC parts inside of it :(

The chassis was damaged, it's not like he was ruining a perfectly good O2.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:49 pm 

RageX wrote:
vegac wrote:
good god...
That O2 case mod is...

The chassis was damaged, it's not like he was ruining a perfectly good O2.

This is a good way to recycle unusable cases!!!!!
Think ecology!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:55 pm 

my lame mod:

Replaced the green/amber led in my I2 with an Indigo/Blue one (in fact with 2 3mm leds sanded each on a side to 2.5mm to fit together in the 5mm hole.

lame - but it looks cool :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:29 pm 

Everybody seems to be recovered from the first wave of SGI mods, so here are a few other SGI O2 case mods, to scare you out of your whitz...

Not so spectacular as the first one, but a very good fitting case mod is this one:

http://www.visualize.homeip.net/~vws_tune/o2_body.htm

He just put an IBM Aptiva inside an O2 hull? Tssk, what would Big Blue say about that?

And it seems he got the hang of it then. TWO MORE O2 mods (!!??):

http://www.visualize.homeip.net/~vws_tu ... allery.htm

In Japan, these O2's grow from trees. No, really... :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:27 pm 

Ruining a perfectly good SGI machine like this really should be punisheably, this is trult scary stuff. Putting a peecee in a SGI chassis is like ripping out the engine from a Formula1 car and replacing it with a 4 cylinder 1.1 litre engine from a 1961 Fiat. Just because it can be done doesnt make it right!

Yuck.. ugly

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:32 pm 

Personal opinions aside, the second of these three o2 mods is the best external looking one, and the last one is just crap, thie internals of the second one is quite scary. The first one had a ton of potential to finish off very nicely, but didn't.

Personally, if they were borken or missing everything from teh inside due to canibalization, then I don't see the issue in recycling the rest of it, but to break down a perfectly working machine as nice as that, is pure evil.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:10 am 

I got a perfectly nice looking (almost new no scratch) O2 in a box at home.
But the only part inside is a media board.. Not really useful so why not make a PC with that? I dont think its soo evil and the case look soo cool.

And all this gave me and idea... I got a broken O2 webcam. I'll save the skin and put a logitech webcam inside. :D Should be easy!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:13 am 

A mild case mod today, an Indy with a CDROM drive fitted in the place where the floppy unit should go. Don't know if you have seen this mod before...

http://www.maestling.com/indy-cdrom/index1.html

Actually i think this has been done quite tastefully :wink:

While we're at building CDROM's in Indy, this is a page about a DVD into an O2. Not really a casemod, but interesting to some i guess:

http://www.smellycat.net/o2/

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:56 am 

gplourde wrote:
I got a perfectly nice looking (almost new no scratch) O2 in a box at home.
But the only part inside is a media board.. Not really useful so why not make a PC with that? I dont think its soo evil and the case look soo cool.

And all this gave me and idea... I got a broken O2 webcam. I'll save the skin and put a logitech webcam inside. :D Should be easy!

I just think it isn't right to put PC parts in anything unless it is in unfixable condition already, in bad condition, or if you can manage to fit the parts inside w/o any permanent modification (you can convert back).

Ok, I will admit to making case a mod (out of a PC case), but they just aren't the same as having some beautiful SGI hardware inside....

Fitting different form-factors in something not designed for it will never turn out nicely, you are better off starting out with nothing and design it around your boards and drives (it will look more unique and will be much cleaner and easier to upgrade inside not to mention end up being cheaper).

Just be warned, the O2 case will be worth more in 5 years then your butchered machine will (I've never seen a pc mod in a SGI, Sun, etc... ever look good on the inside).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next