Dead Octane

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:33 pm

Pardon me for saying so, but slamming anything that's computer related is likely to break it. I'm not surprised that slamming an Octane mainboard into the chassis damaged it. They're rather delicate pieces of equipment, not designed for abuse.

Chris

cstar wrote:For the sake of history, I did bend a power pin on my backplane. Slamming it ...
It did POST but stopped saying that there was no hard disk.
The friend I bought the Octane from successfully put the pin back straight.

I still thank him, I must say. It is not something I recommend.
I was used to my indigo, which I slammed many times.

shumiyao

Unread postby shumiyao » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:26 pm

Octane mainboard into the chassis damaged

I now have a lesson learned, at least. Metal plates in chasis were already bented when I bought. Thats why I had a problem in installing the MB back again into the chasis...

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:02 pm

Alright, ordered a 0887-005 mainboard from The Keeper... Polygons, here I come!

shumiyao

Unread postby shumiyao » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:56 am

Dr, Dave,

Hope that your motherboard solve your problem.

BTW, I just received a MB. I tried it but it did not work. There are only two other parts to try. Power Supply or frontplane....

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:01 pm

The Octane lives! Came right up with the new motherboard. Now the fun begins!

And thanks Keeper... worked like a charm!

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:53 am

Happy to be of service! Glad that took care of the problem!

Chris

Dr. Dave wrote:The Octane lives! Came right up with the new motherboard. Now the fun begins!

And thanks Keeper... worked like a charm!

shumiyao

Unread postby shumiyao » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:41 pm

Thank you all and both Mr. Wolfe in Germany and U.S for your kindness & lots of help.

It was the power supply, after all. Not mother board or frontplane or the funky connectors or slightly bented chasis. My Octane's CPU is now working. I could hear the Octane's booting chime for the first time.

Now I got another problem. Monitor is not working.... This time, I will check the adapter. If it does not work, I will have to buy a SGI monitor, any way..... Yet, it is easier than the earlier problem, I hope.

The Keeper

Unread postby The Keeper » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:16 pm

shumiyao wrote:Now I got another problem. Monitor is not working.... This time, I will check the adapter. If it does not work, I will have to buy a SGI monitor, any way..... Yet, it is easier than the earlier problem, I hope.

You'll want to look at the "Linux for PlayStation2" sync-on-green database, to see if your monitor is listed. They've done a lot of work, checking out various PC monitors, determining which monitors support what.

http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php

Chris

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:01 pm

LOL - as nice as it sounds, I was expecting the boot-chime to be a bit more than it was. I've been lucky to hear the Indigo R3k, the R4k, the O2, and the Indy boot chimes - pretty much in that order, and noticed that they got progressively more funky. I was sorta expecting something just shy of a full orchestral piece on the Octane.

But that's just an observation. No complaints so far!

shumiyao

Unread postby shumiyao » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:10 am

The Keeper wrote:sync-on-green database

Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 67 TXV - Tested Not Working

Thank you Chris, as it is working fine with O2, I thought that my monitor Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 67 TXV was compatible with Octane, too... Guess I will have to buy another monitor...

BTW, I found a interesting Diagnostic Chart.

Using the LEDs on the Lightbar Figure 8-1. Lightbar LEDs - Front of Octane, Diagnostic Chart #1

I hope that it is useful for someone. I like to add [solid Red LED, no fan sound, no chime -> Suspect Power Supply] in the chart. This is the finding thanks to Mr. Wolfe's help.

chime

I liked the Octane chime as much as O2's. I always have an exciting moment between switching on SGI machines and hearing the booting chimes. I have already had 2 power supply failures on both O2 and Octane each so far. What I got today was a surge protection, just in case.

andreas@rootprompt

Unread postby andreas@rootprompt » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:27 am

shumiyao wrote: I could hear the Octane's booting chime for the first time.

uhm, now that reminds me of something... I never heard the boot chime when there're no speakers connected to the Octane. Which brings up a rather dumb question: does the Octane have an internal speaker? :)

shumiyao

Unread postby shumiyao » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:45 am

No, Octane does not have an internal speaker. Wish it had. I am using CREATIVE's small speakers, which I think is too good for the price (I got mine for around 20 EUR).

Offtopic* I currently have to use telnet and remote login from O2 to use the Octane. (I do not have the compatible monitors) I hear sound effects from O2, and other sounds (realaudio, audio confidence test etc.) from Octane. I do not know why...

shumiyao

summary

Unread postby shumiyao » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:52 pm

Now I have everything working now thanks to helps from many - many people. Thank you.

Here is summary of findings:

A) Power supply failure. I do not know exactly what happened. Later on I discovered that a socket (the arrow shaped part, making sure that the connector stays where it is supposed to be.) of PS was broken. Wonder how someone could break the white rectangle connector on PS side. (Or was it me?)

B) Monitor failure. I had to buy SGI monitor, after all. Max frequency of my mitsubishi PC monitor was 60.

C) Compression Connector. I cleaned it with alcohol, which is NEVER recommended. I also used masking tape to get rid of fibers remaining on the connector. Fortunately, the compression connectors still seems to be working. No errors so far.

D) Network install: I had to turn off password protection of guest account on server side, so that tftp can work. Otherwise, I had a permission denied error on client side.

E) Truetype installation for neko_gnome2: All I had to do was sipmly to put those truetype ttf files (e.g. Japanese fonts) in one of those directories in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/. As I modified fonts.dir without knowing what I was doing, my Octane could not bring up xdm. I could solve this only by using telnet from another machine.

newell

Re: summary

Unread postby newell » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:47 pm

shumiyao wrote:A) Power supply failure. I do not know exactly what happened. Later on I discovered that a socket (the arrow shaped part, making sure that the connector stays where it is supposed to be.) of PS was broken. Wonder how someone could break the white rectangle connector on PS side. (Or was it me?)

I had the same problem with my Octane a few months back. It taught me to be very careful about inserting the power supply module.

dingofarmer

octane hell

Unread postby dingofarmer » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:49 pm

Hey guys same issues for me. I have an older r10K, 195, 128mb, SI gfx, I think. Anyways, bought it of of E-bay from a guy I know pretty well. Worked fine before shipping, but when I got it, I pressed the power switch, and it turned on or at least both fans did. The only way I can start it now is by plugging in the Pw cord, and vise versa to turn it off. I did carefully reset the PW supply several times, removed the battery, pulled it completly apart and resetted all boards, It was reeally dirty, So I dissasebled it and used compress air. When it is plugged in it will turn on, I really can't hear the HD over the fans, there is no red light on the front. If a PW were bad, to the point of powering the fans, could that be it. The switvhes on front don't do anything except after the first time. My monitor arived the next day and it came in peices, it looked like UPS entered it in a rugby turnament. I'm pissed. I have a nec SOG monitor that works on my o2, which is currently using a 1600sw, The seller did say that once and awhile he would have to reset the PW supply.

I'll try the memmory swap, and see if I can drive to reputable.com after work and hook it up to a display.'

Any ohter suggestions, oh and the connectors look fine.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”