How to identify Hardware Specs without powering on?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Antares

How to identify Hardware Specs without powering on?

Unread postby Antares » Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Hopefully, this isn't naive of me to ask....but how can I figure out hardware specs for Indy workstations if I don't have a way to power them on right now? I have three and I'm looking to sell two of them and keep one. But I want to figure out the specs first. I've had them in storage for a number of years and don't remember.

My problem is that I sold a matching SGI monitor a few years ago due to space issues. I also can't find the keyboard and various cables that I had with these. I'm hoping I still have them and they are just mixed in with some of my Mac stuff. However, I fear that I accidentally got rid of them with a group when I purged a bunch of misc cables and keyboards years ago. Hopefully, not. :(

As such, I 'm trying to figure out the specs since they were last powered on about 10 years ago. Any Idea how to figure this out? Thanks!
Attachments
00P0P_aYyd3EikM0F_1200x900.jpg
00n0n_32BCiSWoiKl_1200x900.jpg
00I0I_lXjSM4ZauEt_1200x900.jpg
00E0E_lvKG4FHo8xc_1200x900.jpg

robespierre

Re: How to identify Hardware Specs without powering on?

Unread postby robespierre » Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Well, the specs of a simple machine like an Indy are pretty simple:
1. type of Processor Module
2. type of graphics
3. any option cards
4. amount of memory
5. type/amount of disks

You can easily search for the model number of the disk drives to find out their capacity. Similarly it's easy to calculate the size of the DRAM SIMMs by searching for the chip model numbers and doing some multiplication.

Both of the machines pictured have no option cards, the first one has XL24 graphics and the second one has XL8. You can distinguish those by whether the VRAM chips are fully populated or not. The only other graphics available for the Indy is XZ, which is a double-board sandwich and leaves space for only 1 option card.

The PM has a model number (030-xxxx-xx) that you can search online, or may have the CPU type printed on. Those look like R4600SC but I can't read them completely.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Antares

Re: How to identify Hardware Specs without powering on?

Unread postby Antares » Sat May 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Thanks! That helps.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”