Crimson Power Supply - Removal

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
pentium

Crimson Power Supply - Removal

Unread postby pentium » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:24 pm

My Crimson has been sidelined for several years after it was determined powering it up would cause the 1500W PSU to immediately fail because of capacitor problems. I got some slack time at work coming up and am thinking of pulling it out and taking it in. I seem to recall someone here wrote up the procedures to open the power supply and test various points but I cannot find that and I do not recall if it also included how to remove the power supply from the chassis. IS it four screws accessible form the back, removing the bus bars and terminal block wiring or did I also need to remove a side panel as well to access more screws?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

robespierre

Re: Crimson Power Supply - Removal

Unread postby robespierre » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 pm

My experience with that is mostly with twin-tower machines, but I would be shocked if removing the side panel wasn't required. That area is very cramped.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 am

To open the chassis, you pull the back panel skin off (towards you, start from the bottom). You can leave the sides and the breaker panel alone. Remove the metal mesh panel from the back.

The PSU is connected to the system with a pair of bus bars (+5V rail) and a bundle of cable. The latter has to be disconnected from the backplane (bottom center), the bus bars come apart ~ half way.

There's a pair of screws under the PSU securing it in the chassis. Release those and you can slide the whole assembly out backwards.

Two types of PSUs exist for the Crimson: the 'silver' PowerOne and the 'black' Cherokee. I have some experience with the PowerOne, see HERE and HERE.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:21 pm

Indeed I have the Cherokee. Thank you for confirming that the PSU comes out via the back. Considering where I have the machine installed accessing the side is NOT an easy task.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ ... G_9853.jpg

Edit: Interestingly someone has been inside the power supple before me. The original warranty seal has been broken and a new one has been applied.

Edit Edit: Okay I'm only quickly opening it to inspect what I'm up against but I can visibly see signs of cap electrolyte on the surface of the PCB around the V2-V4 terminals. This will likely need to have a full recap.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”