O2 System Module lever

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

O2 System Module lever

Unread postby luesjo12 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi all!

I recently purchased an O2 from Houston through eBay hoping that the O2 would come in one piece. Well, luckily, the O2 came perfectly intact and the unit didn’t have a single crack in its shell.

Here’s the unit unpacked:

I unpacked the device today and decided it would be best to reseat the System module and Audio module being careful with the plastic levers since I knew they are plastic and might be susceptible to cracking. Once I had finished, I plugged in the O2 and got a flashing amber LED. This is where my issue began. :oops:

I thought the O2 might be missing RAM, so I decided to pull the System module out one more time. I pulled on the lever not using much force and this time, the module seemed to have resisted more than it did the last time. I pushed a little harder on the lever and before the system module had even budged, the lever had snapped the piece of plastic it sat on clean off.

Here’s what that looks like:

This is where I need help. Is there any way I could possibly fix this? Maybe get the stick module out with something and put the lever back on some way? I’m really lost. Any help would be appreciated. (Please excuse my noobyness)

Re: O2 System Module lever

Unread postby robespierre » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:25 pm

The prime directive is to never plug/unplug modules while power is connected.

Without the lever, unplugging the system module is harder, but should be possible by pulling on the PCI plate with a chisel or similar.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Unread postby Intuition » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Aw bummer, my 300mhz o2 lever is still on but the little metal divit that sticks out that helps that lever work to slide it in place came off. So I have the lever attached but it has no groove to grab. I have to fuss with it every so gently to get it out and in. Takes me like 5 minutes of fiddling and slowly working it in and out. :|
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

Unread postby tomvos » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 am

The same thing happened to one of my O2, too. People around here recommend to connect a VGA cable, tighten the connector screws firmly and then gently pull on the cable to remove the board from the system. You might want to give this a try.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.

Unread postby japes » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:34 am

I used the VGA connector to pull mine. I think I eventually swapped it with another board - or the board itself. Last I remember I was driving over to a storage unit to store it and it fell over when going around a corner and the case cracked and a corner of the top plate broke. The plastic on the O2 is super brittle as it ages.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Unread postby pentium » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 pm

I have a naked O2 here with a dead logic board.
To add to the never remove the logic board when the machine is plugged in I would like to also add give the machine ten seconds to completely discharge before you pull the logic board

On topic, if you don't mind shipping I'll send you the logic board assembly.

Edited: I just noticed from your photo your system is an R10K. My dead R5K carrier assembly is slightly different because of the smaller heatsink and won't work for you.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Unread postby Trippynet » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:34 am

pentium wrote:To add to the never remove the logic board when the machine is plugged in I would like to also add give the machine ten seconds to completely discharge before you pull the logic board

And to add to that, after pulling the power lead, I highly recommend hitting the front power button. This will help to drain those caps in the PSU and again helps to protect against frying the logic board.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Return to “SGI: Hardware”