Indigo R3000 ROM versions (re SSD)

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Indigo R3000 ROM versions (re SSD)

Unread postby shelldozer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:26 am

I was wondering if there is a list of known system firmware versions for the Indigo R3000. The ROM chip on my CPU board is labelled "070-8088-003 (A)".

The reason I am asking, is that I am having a hard time getting any of the various SCSI-to-SATA SSD or SCSI-to-SD adaptors working as a boot drive (most work perfectly fine as a secondary drive), and I was wondering whether I'm just unlucky enough to have a *very* early system ROM. It seems the boot code in the ROM doesn't like devices that respond "too quickly"!

Any thoughts?
"Things were certainly different before all those new-fangled changes..."

Re: Indigo R3000 ROM versions (re SSD)

Unread postby dexter1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:06 am

From it looks like you have one of the latest PROM revision for the R3K Indigo, not one of the earliest. Can you give us the version string in the PROM firmware? So i can add it to the Wiki.

I have the SCSI2SD as primary disk in an R4K Indigo but not in my R3K yet (PSU issues). The SCSI2SD device can delay startup by a number of seconds, see for the configuration screen when setting up the SCSI2SD to try out the delay.

Moreover there are issues with having multiple devices on a SCSI chain where one of the devices is an SCSI2SD. Other people and I have observed disks and CDROM's missing even though they are connected on the chain and powered.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”