Octane networking... just not working :o

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
stuart

Octane networking... just not working :o

Unread postby stuart » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Hey all,

I've been away from here for an absolute age, but I've managed to get myself some cool new space, so I'm pulling my SGI kit out of storage!

... and time doesn't appear to have treated things well :(

Next up, one of my all-time favourite machines, the fully kitted-out Octane2 (see hinv for a blast from the past!)...

So, the configuration is a bit unusual: ef0 is the onboard NIC (Network Interface Controller) which stlil has a valid NIC (Number In a Can) because the MAC address is still retained, ef1 is on the Dual Head board, then tg0 and tg1 are (firmware hacked) Tigon3 boards (from HP, IIRC).

To prevent any complications from DHCP and the like, each has a statically-assigned IP address with valid IP, network, boardcast, etc. addresses, MTU, etc.

However, if I plug in ef0 then the switch just indicates port errors.

If I plug in any of the other NICs, then IRIX will report that the interface is in a RUNNING state and the lights on the switch look reasonable... but I can't get any traffic in or out. Any attempt to ping hosts on the same segment or the default gateway just result in 'host unreachable' errors.

The on-board port aside, this must surely be a software issue... but quite what's gone wrong I really can't figure right now :?:

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

stuart

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Octane networking... just not working :o

Unread postby uunix » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Welcome back Stuart, good to see another UK user.

Seems to me, you have to disable ef0 and reconfigure your tg0. I had a similar issue with a discreet system.

You have set the tg0 as default and all settings point correctly I presume.

Now the question is.. what bloomin file did I edit to do so.. I will have to get back on that.

[edit]You have got resolv.conf etc all sorted? Ping by IP?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:37 pm

uunix wrote:Now the question is.. what bloomin file did I edit to do so.. I will have to get back on that.

From memory, I think it would be /etc/config/ifconfig-X.options, where X is the interface number, e.g. 1, 2, etc., but check the ifconfig man page to make sure that my memory isn't off target. Each configured network interface would have a uniquely numbered file.

stuart

Unread postby stuart » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:48 am

Thankfully, this problem is now mostly resolved - the on-board NIC is still not at all happy, but some degree of fiddling with /etc/config/* files has at least given me a working tg* interface.

Weird...

Return to “SGI: Hardware”