ADAT. And the secret is...

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

ADAT. And the secret is...

Unread postby uunix » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 pm

? :oops:

OK, well, never had any joy getting ADAT working from an OCTANE. Tried a Sound Bar some time back that never worked, but then it never worked on anything including TVs, so I put that down to it was just FOOBAR'd.

On a recommendation from a friend as a VERY cheap first port of call for testing, I purchased this tiny made in China convertor to Analog and I can't get that working on any machine either.

I have tried many things, frequency etc, but cannot get anything. Does anyone have any simpleton guide to this format? It would not surprise me if this conversion box did not work, but I sort of suspect I am missing something here.

Fibre Audio connected to the bottom ADAT out to the conversion box. Light is coming though it. Output goes to speakers, DVCAM player input and so forth.

Set default out to ADAT, tried all frequencies. Clock set to all combinations. Had AMESH running and no sign of anything. What doofus thing am I missing here.

An SGI guide would be nice.

Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

robespierre

Re: ADAT. And the secret is...

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 pm

ADAT isn't TOSLINK: unless your converter box has the ADAT (Alesis DAT) logo, it doesn't support it.

ADAT is actually a digital audio tape format using SVHS tapes in special Alesis decks. Confusingly, it is also used for two other different things: the 8-ch optical audio interface, and the 9-pin sync interface that those decks had. These are all pro audio products and have 0 adoption in the consumer market.

The ADAT optical interface was implemented on the Octane/RAD for integration into audio production studios. It would be connected to something like a Yamaha 01V with MY8-AT interface.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

devv

Unread postby devv » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Hey,

I got it working. I knew I needed to convert ADAT to S/PDIF before I can input that into a receiver, so I first bought Midiman SAM.
Then I realized that SAM wouldn't work for me because (if I recall correctly) it was capable of conversion, but if input was on optical, output was forced to be on coaxial, and vice versa. (I only realized that the product was not what I was looking for when I checked the manual that came with it. I didn't figure it out from online descriptions.)

So then I bought the Midiman Co2 product, and with it it worked.
It's been a while ago and I don't remember the specifics, but I know it just worked.

Another alternative (and bigger) product for that conversion is Alesis ADAT AI-1.

Hope it helps!
Attachments
co2.gif
co2.gif (15.17 KiB) Viewed 349 times
sam.jpg
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:08 pm

robespierre wrote:ADAT isn't TOSLINK: unless your converter box has the ADAT (Alesis DAT) logo, it doesn't support it.

ADAT is actually a digital audio tape format using SVHS tapes in special Alesis decks. Confusingly, it is also used for two other different things: the 8-ch optical audio interface, and the 9-pin sync interface that those decks had. These are all pro audio products and have 0 adoption in the consumer market.

You are telling me that at any time I could of taken the unit that I have hidden under the stairs and plugged it straight into my Octane?? :shock:
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:21 am

This is what you want:
ada8824.jpg

8x analogue in, 8x analogue out, and I believe 8x AES/EBU in,out as well (not 100% sure). AES/EBU is the pro version of SPDIF so that should connect to e.g. a DAT recorder or CD player.

The Discreet A232 version of the Lucid ADA8824 pictured here is (you guessed it) used in Discreet setups. Where the stock Lucid units have MIDI ports, these have an RS232 port, presumably used by the IRIX system to configure the thing (it's in the Discreet setup manual).

This was the last piece missing from the Discreet setup that my Tezro used to belong too. I bought one before Xmas but it's still in the US so I can't give you 1st hand information (yet).

Something like a Behringer ADA8000 might work too. They're much more common on this side of the Atlantic and you can buy then 2nd hand for very cheap. There's no RS232 so you likely have to set levels by hand on the ADA8000 itself. Or it might simply not work at all. Similarly, newer Lucid unit can do things like 24bit/192KHz conversion, but I don't know if that exceeds the bandwidth of an ADAT pipe and/or the SGI side can make sense of that. So I got the Lucid ADA8824/A232.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Jack Luminous
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Jack Luminous » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 am

Toslink used for audio is either adat or spdif format. In the case of Octane, it is adat. 8 channel of audio up to 24bit/48kHz. I got it working using some recording equipment with the same format. There nothing special to do, just check that the freq is the same both side. Normally one side is the master, the other the slave. You do that by choosing the clocking, either internal (master) or adat (slave).
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 am

Thanks for all the good answers chaps.

So, could you go from the OUT on Octane A to the IN on Octane B ?
[Edit]
Well indeed you can, although set at 32hz rather than the default 48 (may be a red herring).

Also the cheapo adaptor does work on the Digital Out port on the Octane (the cheapo device has COAX type and Optical inputs).

What I am unsure yet is the delay, it seems playing AMESH from one machine to other does not seem to sync with the graphic type equalizer display on the AMESH application. I may be wrong on this.

So I have working Optical OUT.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

joshiggins

Unread postby joshiggins » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:25 am

Good shout on the ADA8000, I got one of these working with the Octane no problem and they are nice and cheap.
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”