sgi shutter shades?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

sgi shutter shades?

Unread postby MrBill » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 pm

I have two pairs of shutter shades that I have not done anything with. I am not familiar with any of the present 3d video distribution formats. Blu ray disks seem to be how they are distributed. I dont see any mention of dvd.

I am not sure if my hardware would even be able to play blu ray quality video without stuttering, or at all.

From my understanding, the shutter shades are in sync with the screen sync alternating between what the left and right eye should see via infared.

Is there any hope of getting 3d videos on my sgi gear or is it a lost cause and the glasses are just a museum piece?

Are shutter shades still the design of modern 3d tvs?
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

robespierre

Re: sgi shutter shades?

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm

MrBill wrote:I am not sure if my hardware would even be able to play blu ray quality video without stuttering, or at all.
I think that a Tezro or other late model SGI can play back video from a Stone array at 2K/1080p (possibly a DM3-VBOB is needed, I don't know). This is not going to be the same codec as the ones used with BluRay discs. I am not aware of any stereo 3D support in Discreet apps; stereo was used for visualization of OpenGL models.

From my understanding, the shutter shades are in sync with the screen sync alternating between what the left and right eye should see via infared.
Originally, shutter glasses were attached with cables to a graphics card that sent them a signal for which eye to expose. This worked well with CRT monitors, since there is effectively zero signal delay from the graphics card to the eye. Later, wireless glasses were developed with an infrared receiver that kept the same basic signal, and the delay was still insignificant. The infrared signal comes from an emitter connected to the graphics card, as before.

Digital (LCD/LED) monitors make this more complicated because they include significant delay from picture processing, and the light of the image can not always be separated into left and right frames. To get around this, 3D LCD monitors emit the synchronization signal from the display panel itself and not an IR emitter. The shutter glasses are not compatible with the earlier standard (in fact there still is no standard for these systems).

Is there any hope of getting 3d videos on my sgi gear or is it a lost cause and the glasses are just a museum piece?
They will work with a compatible infrared emitter that uses the VESA sync standard, and a CRT monitor capable of 120 Hz stereo mode

Are shutter shades still the design of modern 3d tvs?

They are still used, but some 3D televisions have built-in polarizers, so simple passive polaroid glasses are possible. Projectors can also have built-in polarizers, or use signals for active shutter glasses (one is known as DLP link).
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

jpstewart
Donor
Donor

Re: sgi shutter shades?

Unread postby jpstewart » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 pm

I don't think 3D movies were the intended application for shutter glasses on SGIs. Robespierre briefly mentioned viewing OpenGL models. That's how I recall seeing them demonstrated back in the day: for visualization purposes such as viewing models in Pro/Engineer or Catia and similar sorts of things. (I don't know what the exact software was, but some sort of CAD program.) You might have more success (and fun!) pursuing that avenue. I know the demos I saw were running on an Onyx Infinite Reality system. They weren't even close to "photo realistic", using a fairly low number of polygons so the system could keep up. It was all about the depth perception.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240, Ultra2
HP C8000
Digital DECstation 5000/125

Return to “SGI: Hardware”