Indigo 2 Hardware Dilemma!!! :(

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
danamon2002

Indigo 2 Hardware Dilemma!!! :(

Unread postby danamon2002 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Hey all,

I'm new to the Silicon Graphics community, and picked up an Indigo 2 on eBay. The photos showed it working and intact, but when I got it it looked like it had been manhandled in the shipping process! The front of the case is in a million tiny teal pieces and when it boots it says that the "autoboot failed." Upon further inspection (opening the front) I found out it doesn't see the hard drive at all, but the drive spins and a little green light flashes on the drive. I've tried all of the drive slots with no luck, and I know it's something wrong with the data connection... Is there anything I can do to get it to boot, or should I cut my losses and try to return it? I really don't want to return it because I don't know when I'll be able to get another. :( You can see photos of the system as an attachment.
Attachments
IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: Indigo 2 Hardware Dilemma!!! :(

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Return it man. Nobody should have to deal with a destroyed Indigo2. It's the seller's fault.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Tezro: Quad R16000 700MHz V12 8GB RAM murasaki
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1245v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running Xen on NetBSD dom0 with FreeBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.cc

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Hey if you are looking to get started I have one i can sell you. its purple, in good cosmetic condition, and has the feet, ready to use. pm me once you get the one that was damaged sorted out.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Seller probally does not want bad feedback or to pay return shipping, id say try to keep it if you can get it at a bargin price or free. If you send it back its probally going to be thrown out and the memory and sleds are still worth something.
Id be more than happy to send you a spare drive for the cost of shipping, i have a ton of them.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:22 pm

I'm seeing an awful lot of plastic wrap and a whole lot of no bubble wrap....
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm

pentium wrote:I'm seeing an awful lot of plastic wrap and a whole lot of no bubble wrap....

I wasn't going to pile on, but maybe this can be helpful as a warning:
Also note the USPS freely-supplied mailer used as "padding". This is always an extremely bad sign when people use garbage in lieu of actual packing materials.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 pm

I know the feeling and it's horrible! :(

It absolutely amazes me how badly people in general tend to pack items. (Not a thought goes into it at all!)

You just need to handle one of these machines to realise that the plastics are extremely brittle and that it will need to be extremely well packaged when it's shipped. (The plastics just feel brittle, and you can tell that they're brittle simply by hearing the sound they make when you tap on them.)

If I were you, I would demand a full refund and take MrBill up on his offer. (The Indigo2's a really cool machine and the purple one looks far better than the teal one in my opinion.)
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:31 pm

I think you can get full money including shipping back through ebay if you get them in on it. I'd try and get the seller to refund all but a fair price for the parts myself, but if it breaks down get ebay in and get that sorted.

I know people don't know what happens in the black box that is shipping. I made the mistake once of sending a teal Indigo2 that was in really nice shape to someone in too big of a box with some foam that was too small and too loose. I naively wrote "fragile" and "this side up" on the box. I'm pretty sure it was turned on it's side before it made it out of the lobby of the fedex depot...I remember that every time I ship something and every time something comes to me busted up and broken. I try to do better myself - but most people still think the carriers have time to care.

[rant mode=on]I don't however understand how a previous SGI VAR thought a printer box wrapped around an Indy was acceptable - it did get to me with merely minimal damage (thank you USPS), but it was not acceptable.[rant mode=off]
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 pm

Don't loose the XZ badge, badges are hard to get later.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:00 am

To add to what people have said, it's very sad to see and almost certainly caused by rubbish packaging.

I'd object with the seller (send them the pics). At the very least, you should be able to get a sizeable refund from them. If you're very lucky, you might even be able to get a full refund. It's doubtfull that they'll want to pay again to have the smashed machine returned to them, so you might be able to get a refund and still keep the thing. Worst case scenario, there'll be plenty of bits in it that are useful as spares.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:54 am

I had a bad experience two or three months ago, and eBay refunded me all my costs and didn't even ask me to ship the equipment back.
I ended up keeping a few USB cables and very good dual-link DVI and VGA cables for free.

So you can try that. If it's fully destroyed, eBay may refund you and let you keep it.
ImageImage

danamon2002

Unread postby danamon2002 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am

pentium wrote:I'm seeing an awful lot of plastic wrap and a whole lot of no bubble wrap....

It had bubble wrap around it too and padded enveloped around the corners. It was only about 1-2" of padding all around though and didn't get the job done. I contacted the seller and he's going to send me a second nonworking machine with a good case for $20 with more protection. :D

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 am

Tell him that he must make use of a bigger, double-walled box and use bubble wrap with large bubbles to wrap the machine, (At least 3-4 complete layers) and then fill all of the spaces between the box and the wrapped machine with foam "peanuts".

The bubble wrap will offer protection against shock and the "peanuts" will prevent the machine from moving around inside the box.
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

Return to “SGI: Hardware”