[MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!] Indigo² PSU Pinouts

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
GRudolf94

[MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!] Indigo² PSU Pinouts

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello, Nekochan, hope you're all doing fine. This'll be a bit of a long-winded post, perhaps more than the strict necessary, but please, bear with this poor newbie.

So, here's the deal: a good friend of mine gifted me his spare Indigo², but with some caveats.

The machine has lots of details and bits missing, all of which I can sort out somewhat easily, but the worst part is it only came with the gutted bottom half, low-voltage side of the PSU.

Despite this once having been an Impact PSU, and the machine having an Impact-ready midplane, I won't be running an Impact boardset on it, and as such, I don't need the heavy 3.3V rail that runs to the midplane via the blue cable.

So what I thought is: I could probably get a common PC ATX PSU to work, however, the Indigo² has no color coding on the wires at all, and tracing the rails isn't easy. Does anyone have the pinouts handy, or any solution to this?

I'm open to suggestions that don't involve me purchasing a SGI PSU (since they're not exactly cheap to buy and ship to Brazil...)

Thanks a lot!

(edit: yeah, I've searched quite a bit before, if I did fail at this, please, do point me to the right info)
Last edited by GRudolf94 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Indy: R5000@180MHz, 256MB, XL-24, IndyCam
:Indigo2: R10K@195MHz in broken teal case with broken purple bottom, XZ Graphics, missing: RAM, drives/sleds, case bits, PSU; awaiting completion [ATX PSU CONVERSION IN THE WORKS!]
misc: Some Sun stuff, lots of x86 crap, one MSX and a MSX2+, a ZX Spectrum clone, slotloader 400MHz overclocked to 500MHz! iMac G3

kubatyszko
Donor
Donor

Re: Indigo² PSU Pinouts

Unread postby kubatyszko » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 pm

If you're handy with a multimeter, here's some info that might get you going:

Hard drive molex have 12V (usually yellow) , 5V (red) and Ground (black) - try continuity testing those with the power supply socket on the motherboard - with a bit of luck you might be able to identify the 12V,5V and Ground (there WILL be multiple ground pins).

Serial port should have 12V , -12V and ground - same thing.

I'm not sure about CPU voltages but I assume it's 3.3V or less - and it WILL almost certainly go to a voltage regulator (on the CPU board) - you might be able to find out which chips are voltage regulators (on the CPU, video and motherboard) and look at the specs, it might help you continuity-test the input signals and relate them to the power supply pins.

One or two of the power supply pins will likely NOT show up linked to any voltages and should serve as a power-on (short to ground), and a power-is-on response from the PSU. The first one might be wired straight into the power-on button on the chassis (or it might go via some latch - also easy to identify).

Indigo2 seems to be using EISA bus - it should have +12V, -12V, +5V and -5V (this one unlikely)

This method is certainly not perfect and not guaranteed even if you're lucky enough to relate all the signals, but depending on the machine design there's a chance it will work.

On Fuel for example (and believe me I know them inside-out - I've designed ATX adapter for Fuel), most voltages go directly to the voltage regulators and to the monitoring chips.

Cheers
Designer of Fuel ATX PSU adapter board : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16732341
(now ships from USA), In stock!

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 am

The thing is, the Indigo² doesn't have Molex plugs from where I can trace 5V and 12V (the drives are powered thru sleds using an 80-pin connector, and I don't have the sleds). It's a bit easier on the Fuel because the WTX standard is quite similar to a common ATX PC PSU... If only SGI didn't have a penchant for proprietary stuff :/

I'll wait a bit more to see if anyone comes up with a field service handbook or something similar.

Anyhow, I may try tracing these two voltages from the SCSI backplane, thanks for the idea. I'll look into the EISA spec too, see if the midplane is wired straight to the PSU rails, if it is, continuity check on the multimeter would let me tell where are any other rails. That probably leaves to be found only 3.3V (from which the R10K is powered, I'll look into that too) and PS_ON (which comes from a 2-pin connector in the midplane).

edit: I just noticed the Indigo² PSU should indeed have a single molex. Mine is missing. I'll see if I find where it was soldered.
:Indigo2: R10K@195MHz in broken teal case with broken purple bottom, XZ Graphics, missing: RAM, drives/sleds, case bits, PSU; awaiting completion [ATX PSU CONVERSION IN THE WORKS!]
misc: Some Sun stuff, lots of x86 crap, one MSX and a MSX2+, a ZX Spectrum clone, slotloader 400MHz overclocked to 500MHz! iMac G3

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:06 am

So I have got the Indigo2 at least half fired up.
Pinout is almost all found, all voltages are there (except for -5V which my PSU doesn't supply, but I'll work around that with a LM7905 drawing from -12V, perhaps).

Seems to begin POST ok, RAM is possibly the wrong type, LED doesn't come on orange nor does it play the boot chord. I'll chalk up the lack of orange LED activity to the missing -5V or perhaps a power_good signal. No 13W3 or serial cable here so I can't be more sure of diags, but removing the processor module makes the LED not come on, so I know it's at least half-working.

I'll post up the pinout later, when I have it 100% figured out.
IMG_20171216_114126.jpg
Indigo2 on ATX PSU

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:30 am

Good work! It would be great if eventually the Indigo2 PSU output was well known enough to create another Kuba-style adapter :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

kubatyszko
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kubatyszko » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 am

Nice!, btw many older AT PSU's supply -5V - and I don't think that voltage is widely used outside of EISA/ISA cards anyway, it might work just fine without it...

The reason I designed my Fuel adapter was because my Fuel was broken and I was against the wall,
the reason I have not designed any for Indigo or other SGI is because I simply don't have Indigo but that can be arranged ;)

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:18 am

I'd certainly buy one, but it'd need to be IMPACT capable... :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:11 pm

The major issue is that IMPACT requires a 36A 3.3V rail for itself alone. This is no small feat, and composes over 1/4 of the total output of the original PSU.

The ATX PSU I'm using supplies 40A on the 5V rail, which is exactly the original spec, and enough 3.3V for the base IP28 rail. I'm currently using XZ graphics because I know I can't run an IMPACT boardset with this.

I don't know yet if the current lack of -5V makes a difference, since I have no correct RAM to make it display video, and no serial cable (I'll go after that sometime soon). 5V AUX being not present may also be an issue, but only testing will show.

Do note that the PSU label specifies two of the rails as 3.5V, but they're marked as 3.3V on the board. 3.3V from the barfbox ATX PSU seems to be working fine.

edit and updates: I'll keep changing the image to reflect my latest findings, in order not to clutter the thread. System was powered on today in headless mode, monitoring console. PROM only spit out gibberish thru the serial, will investigate more.

Anyway, here you go, this is what I've found out so far.

Selection_026.png

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:56 am

Hit a wall. Added an artificial -5V line, fired up machine with serial console connected to my laptop. Still only reading the same random characters (although the sequence is always the same.). Sending an escape sequence makes no difference in console output.

Configured as 9600, 8n1 thru a FTDI USB>RS232 adapter, using PuTTY under Linux.

Either the machine needs more PSU wires to function properly, or I have a bad motherboard, or I have a bad USB adapter, or I don't know what else. Anyone has any ideas?

edit: I have no RAM installed. Could that make the console output garbled crap, or should the PROM still display basic stuff even without RAM?

EDIT 2: I'M PROBABLY 'TARDED. THE SERIAL ADAPTER I WAS USING DIDN'T DO RS232 LEVEL SHIFTING, OBVIOUSLY IT WAS NEVER GONNA WORK. WILL SOLVE THAT ASAP

If I don't get this solved, the project will be suspended for some time until my friend repairs his Indigo²'s PSU and measures the missing pins. With another working Indigo², it's easier to troubleshoot things.

Either way, pausing project for the time being or not, I intend on keeping Nekochan posted about this. It's something far too important and that has never been undertaken or documented.

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 pm

IMG_20171220_234619.jpg

YEEEEHAW, CAN I GET A HELL YEA?

This is probably the happiest fscking error message I've ever read on a serial console.
Let me zoom in for you:
IMG_20171220_234627.jpg

TALK TO ME, BABY

I have a grand total of 0 parity SIMMs in my stash, so for now, that is all we're gonna get from it.

Anyway, I still have to figure out the remaini g pins, make soft-on/off work, engineer a IMPACT feed board that draws from the 12V rail of a new PSU, and several other bits.

Still, I guess this is a big step for me, and an even bigger step for SGI-kind, since this is probably the first time in 25 years a Indigo2 is powered from something that's not the original PSU.

With all of this, I learned that, when Google doesn't give you the answers, you go get them yourself.
Thanks @kubatyszko for the ideas, I hope I'll be able to follow your Fuel ATX adapter footsteps.

Expect to hear more from me in the future

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Re: [MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!] Indigo² PSU Pinouts

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:24 pm

As an owner of an Indigo2 IMPACT. I would be interested if you were to start selling a working adapter. :)
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:29 pm

I'll see what I'll do, the major issue with IMPACT is, like I said before, that the original PSUs support up to a 46A draw on the second 3.3V rail. No modern PSU supplies 62A (46+16A for motherboard) on the 3.3V rail, so an adapter to downconvert from 12V will be needed. This will require some engineering (and my friend who gave me the Indigo2 will help me in that aspect).
Also needed to be figured out are the connectors needed and where to buy them, and the fact that an ATX PSU is a wee bit wider than the Indigo2's original one.

kubatyszko
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kubatyszko » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:35 pm

It might be challenging to find 12V downconverter that can handle 46A, and even if you do - merging power from completely different rails (3v3 and 12v) will strongly depend on individual ATX PSU design and regulating capability.
If you make it - I would avoid merging rails at all, and definitely make sure to verify whether impact's 3v3 is separate from the 3v3 used for the CPU.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Hey nice! I didn't see this til just now, well done young lad... :mrgreen: ..
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:44 am

Good job getting this far! I imagine though that the ATX PSU requirements may drop a bit depending what graphics you use. For example, anyone know how much SolidIMPACT pulls in comparison to MaxIMPACT?
Systems in use:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”