Connecting Win7 to irix machines.

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Intuition

Connecting Win7 to irix machines.

Unread postby Intuition » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:14 am

Since I will be recording desktop captures soon with the Octane shipping here in the upcoming week I have been doing some prep trying to connect the win7 machine (my 8 core xeon setup) with the o2s.

I did a search on Nekochan and saw the posts about Samba and using NFS in windows.

So I did start up NFS in windows and I found a Samba here in the Nekochan repository.

I installed Samba by opening the tardist and then dragging the Samba file into Software manager.

This seemed to work as it shows as installed in the list.

The next part of the setup I can't seem to find as I was reading a macintosh version of the setup here in the post.

I was able to run ipconfig and ifconfig with the arp -a and saw that each machine can see the other in the ip lists it spits out.
I tested it by running the ping host 192.168.1.xxx with xxx being the number each machine has.

It did successfully ping and send and receive packets. I tried running a random last number and sure enough it said it could not resolve host .. so I am pretty sure they are at least seeing each other from both sides in raw ping test.

So at this point it is basically... knowing what to put on the Irix side with Samba... in a file or something so that when I go to map a network drive in win7 it can see the folder that I have told to share on the Irix side correct?
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher

necron2600

Re: Connecting Win7 to irix machines.

Unread postby necron2600 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:32 pm

wide open share (no authentication) .. access it as \\IPADDRESS on a windows node:

/usr/nekoware/etc/smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server (Nekoware)
security = share
load printers = no
log file = /usr/nekoware/var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = no
add user script = /usr/sbin/passmgmt -a -h/dev/null -g20 -s/usr/bin/false %u
[data]
comment = Data
path = /storage/data
public = yes
only guest = yes
writable = yes
printable = no

# NOTE: you do not need to cut/paste the above.. just go through the existing smb.conf file and make changes. Its filled mostly with comments anyway.

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Re: Connecting Win7 to irix machines.

Unread postby Trippynet » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 am

It's also maybe worth looking at Sharity. The unlicensed copy only allows for one SMB share to be mounted, but that's fine for my usage. I use it on both my Fuel/Indigo2 to mount an SMB share from my Windows 7 machine. Works a treat!
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Return to “SGI: Hardware”