Broken IO6-G bought on eBay

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
docz

Broken IO6-G bought on eBay

Unread postby docz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:23 am

Hi guys, I purchased an IO6-G unit on eBay. Unfortunately it came in with some shipping damage.

One capacitor has cracked open, and leaked, and one component was shattered.

Anyone who can help me identify these two components?
They are on the top most small board with BNC plugs. Labeled: 030-1101-001

Attacthed a picture

It is hard to see what the black component is, it may be a diode of some sorts.

Help to identify these and find a source for them would be appreciated :)
Attachments
P1030674_preview.jpeg
======================================================
DocZ
Software Developer | Computer Hoarder
:O2000R: :O2:

japes
Donor
Donor

Re: Broken IO6-G bought on eBay

Unread postby japes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:36 am

I don't see the original listing. Was it recent? I'd look at the photos in the eBay listing, that's not shipping damage. Thats a missing tantalum cap and another that failed. You can see the burning from when that went boom.

Tantalum capacitors often fail shorted and then explode. Sometimes taking nearby stuff with them.

Someone with an IO6g should be able to read the values off the components and Mouser or DigiKey if you're in the US are good sources for components like that.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

docz

Unread postby docz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 am

Hi I attached the picture from the listing. As you can see the components on that board looks good.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Last edited by docz on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocZ

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 am

http://www.sgistuff.net/hardware/system ... onyx2.html

Has a photo, looks like the tantalum cap is 35v 25uF, you can verify the physical dimensions off another of the same size on the board.

Not sure what the component at C0A8 is. Looks like a capacitor maybe, some kind of ceramic cap. Someone with a board might be able to get a better look
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:12 am

Take a look at the stickers on the boards, the numbers are different! (different boards)

s-l1600.jpg

P1030674_preview.jpg

The board that they sold you was not the one that they had pictured in their listing!

The damage to the board isn't shipping damage, thats a blown tantalum cap, they sold you a blown board!

Request a refund!
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...ImageSnapshot
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......ImageSnapshot
Image...Image .........................................................ImageSnapshot
......Image..........Image ...........................................................ImageSnapshot
............Image..............Image Image........................................................ImageSnapshot

docz

Unread postby docz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:38 am

Oh crap! I have sent a refund request. Seller was named SGICLEARANCE.

Anyway I still need to get this thing fixed. Trying to see what the heck could have shorted that cap. Guess I'll desolder it and pull out a multimeter.

Btw, I live in Norway, in case you are recommending places to get replacement parts / components :)
DocZ

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 am

The missing and blown component is on a daughter board, you can maybe request the seller to send you another daughter board at their expense.

The tantalum cap is probably the same as the one next to it, but I don't know what the broken component is.

It's probably easiest to request a new daughter board from the seller.
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...ImageSnapshot
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......ImageSnapshot
Image...Image .........................................................ImageSnapshot
......Image..........Image ...........................................................ImageSnapshot
............Image..............Image Image........................................................ImageSnapshot

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Replacing those parts, if you can get the components, shouldn't be too hard if you have a hot air soldering station. I would remove the damaged components, clean the area with isopropyl alcohol, wick the solder off, and reapply new components and paste. The parts don't look crazy small, so it shouldn't be too hard of a job.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

docz

Unread postby docz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:37 pm

The daughterboard looks like to be for video of some kind. I should be able to solder these components in fine. What does that board do? It says "Video" and something beginning with "S". Is this video output? Or is it some kind of wordclock for syncing video sources?

To get that board out, do I have to remove the entire front plate and all the connectors?
DocZ

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:38 pm

The board may operate or partially operate without those components, especially if you clean off the burn residue.

If you're not using the video sync BNC connectors and you're not required to send back the board or you have trouble getting resolution it would be worth a try.

Best of luck on getting resolution. I think I've picked up a few items from that seller and aside from my grumpiness over how expensive it is to ship from Canada to the US I haven't had problems. Most recent was a MENET card that's working fine in my Octane. I imagine the board tested fine for basic functionality (scsi, net, keyboard/mouse) and got packed up as one of several to sell and just wasn't checked out visually as thoroughly as you did.

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi docs,

Sgiclearance are b&b (you can find them on web easily) , a Canadian sgi seller for many many years. The have lot of sgi stock and likely pulled one of many boards from supply.

I have dealt with them previously and had no problem, when they shipped me FC chassis that got damaged in transit.

Your blown board should be replaced.

Cheers,

jwhat.
jwhat - ask questions, provide answers

docz

Unread postby docz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:54 am

The seller refunded me today so that is great! Now I just need to either find a daughterboard replacement - which I asked them for.

I still need to figure out what that component is next to it. I checked the datasheet for the IC that is next to it, the one that looks like a transistor. It is a voltage regulator, and it the example implementation it hints that both these components are capacitors. The reference circuit though shows a 10uF cap and not a 33uF so are you guys sure it is a 33uF on the actual board?

Would love if anyone could take a picture of it if possible.
DocZ

marshallh

Unread postby marshallh » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 am

The blown tant cap's value is not critical, 33uf will work just as fine as 10uf. More important is the completely missing ptc/polyswitch. The sequence of events was:
1. Tantalum blew due to stress and heat/old age, thus causing the ptc to desolder itself due to extreme heat
2. Unkown short on pcb due to some other failure caused both parts to blow

Start here to find a replacement: http://www.littelfuse.com/products/rese ... t/smd.aspx

You should first before adding parts put a meter in resistance mode across each caps terminals to confirm there aren't any dead shorts (resistance should be at least 100ohm and preferablly 200+)

docz

Unread postby docz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Thank you! It was a fuse... now I will order parts and start to investigate :)
DocZ

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:00 am

http://www.sgistuff.net/hardware/system ... g-2200.jpg

Link to the photo on the page I mentioned earlier.

You can just make out the markings on the tantalum cap in the photo. You can also see what the component at C0A8 looks like, but not read the markings. Looks like another one at D3H1 on the middle board. But I would still look for another photo to make sure they're the same value.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”