Octane: System board NIC diagnostic *FAILED*

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
commuter-roach

Octane: System board NIC diagnostic *FAILED*

Unread postby commuter-roach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 am

Hello Gentlemen,

I have recently acquired an Octane which, at boot, displays the following message:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
System board NIC diagnostic *FAILED*

Check or replace : System board (IP30)

Diagnostics failed.
[Press any key to continue ]
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Once I press a key, I get to the menu and I can boot the system normally. Also running diagnostics from the menu does not find any issues. Any idea?

Thanks!

DaRoach
"Pay respect to the vultures, for they are your future"
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

robespierre

Re: Octane: System board NIC diagnostic *FAILED*

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 am

The NIC is the Dallas iButton that supplies the system ID. You'll find it on the corner of the IP30 board (or the empty socket where it should be...)
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

commuter-roach

Unread postby commuter-roach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:54 am

You mean the thing that looks like a PC style round battery?

commuter-roach

Unread postby commuter-roach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:51 pm

Is there a replacement for it?

GRudolf94

Unread postby GRudolf94 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Sorry for replying a month-old thread, I'm not entirely sure I should, but anyway, it's a common Maxim-Dallas part (DS1982). However, I don't know if you could program it with a S/N to match what the PROM expects. Maybe contact one of the SGI stuff vendors to see if someone can supply you one from a dead board.
:Indy: R5000@180MHz, 256MB, XL-24, IndyCam
:Indigo2: R10K@195MHz in broken teal case with broken purple bottom, XZ Graphics, missing: RAM, drives/sleds, case bits, PSU; awaiting completion [ATX PSU CONVERSION IN THE WORKS!]
misc: Some Sun stuff, lots of x86 crap, one MSX and a MSX2+, a ZX Spectrum clone, slotloader 400MHz overclocked to 500MHz! iMac G3

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Necro posting again...I may have an old 1.3 Xbow you can have the NIC from. I intend to take the Dallas chip from it. The xbow fan died a while ago and I'm not sure it works 100%.
:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:09 pm

The NIC is on the IP30 system board, not the frontplane. It looks like a battery, but is an iButton that just holds the system serial number or hostid.
Additionally, it may not be necessary to actually have it in the computer, as the hostid can be patched in the running kernel using tools available on the net, allowing software licenses to work.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:04 pm

robespierre wrote:The NIC is on the IP30 system board, not the frontplane. It looks like a battery, but is an iButton that just holds the system serial number or hostid.

You got that in reverse I'm afraid. Here's a picture of the frontplane, with the NIC in the red square (it even says 'system id'):
frontplate.jpg

There's a Dallas RTC with battery backed RAM on the IP30, it is used for the PROM variables.

Come to think about it, in most SGI systems the system ID is tied to the chassis (or front/backplane), not the CPU board.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Oops, you're right! And I should have known better: apart from the Indy and O2, the hostid is, indeed, tied to the chassis (or on the I/O plane for Fuel or Tezro).
Still, I don't think it is actually needed, if you are able to use software to set the hostid.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”