Octane : can't set tod clock

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
commuter-roach

Octane : can't set tod clock

Unread postby commuter-roach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:59 am

Hi everyone,

Today , while trying to prep an old Octane I wanted to give away, I got greeted by this message , repeating over and over

"Cant' set tod clock"

You can access the system maintenance main menu and run hinv, but that's about it. Any other action is greeted by the same message. Any of you guys know where the battery is located on the Octane? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Daroach
"Pay respect to the vultures, for they are your future"
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: Octane : can't set tod clock

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 am

Probably the battery of the Dallas timekeeper chip on the mainboard ran out:
mainboard.jpg

I don't know of you can still order them. I would just dremel the sucker and mount a CR2032 socket on it 8-)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

commuter-roach

Unread postby commuter-roach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:01 am

Oh there it is! Thanks!!!

On mine it says "Dallas 1687-5" Made in Philippines. There seems to be some folks selling them on ebay. Any chance you'd have a tutorial on how to open it and replace the battery?

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:35 am

I've not yet had to perform this mod on an Octane, but the DS1685 / DS1687 datasheet suggests that Vbat is at pin 20 and it's GND at pin 16. These pins are not present externally, but that's where you start with the Dremel. The rest is probably similar to other Dallas hacks.

Be careful with the Dremel, you just want to expose the contact, not grind it away because that leaves you very little to solder a new wire (speaking from experience). I use some hot glue to add stability and seal the thing. With a pair of wires external to the Dallas, it's up to you how to supply battery power. I use SMD style CR2032 battery holders.

Edit: this could serve as a tutorial: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blo ... y-chip.htm
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

commuter-roach

Unread postby commuter-roach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks! If I can't get by a cheap replacement I'll give it a try!

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:42 pm

commuter-roach wrote:Any chance you'd have a tutorial on how to open it and replace the battery?

Here's how I modded the DS1286 from an Indigo2: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16732361#p7405714

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:58 pm

This may be a silly question.. but I'll ask anyway ;)

A lot of dallas chip ''fixes" online only seem to glaze over the actual chip removal and re-inserting from the board. (some do it while chip is not removed from the board at all)

Is the Dallas chip easily removed from the board (and replaced if you have a good one lying around.. or one from ebay/china)? Is it soldered in, or could a regular chip puller pop it out? If its just pop-out.. does anyone have any best practices for removing one? (Screwdriver one end first then the other end, etc.? )

Thanks

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:45 pm

In my experience, Dallas chips are easy to remove generally. They're socketed and providing you have a replacement, it's not too difficult at all to pop the old one out and slot in a replacement.

The only thing that can sometimes make things a little tricky is if there's components nearby that make access a bit more difficult (such as on the Fuel). In these cases, an IC Extractor makes removing the Dallas a lot easier.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Generally if you can get your hand on them they're big enough to pull straight out without trouble. Caution on Indigo2's the socket they live in has a different number of pins than the chip, remember where it sits in the socket.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:26 am

japes wrote:Caution on Indigo2's the socket they live in has a different number of pins than the chip, remember where it sits in the socket.

Noticed this when I modded the Dallas in this Indigo2.

This is how it should be installed in the socket. The IP22 mainboard had been removed from the chassis when I took this picture.
dallas_indigo2.jpg

Return to “SGI: Hardware”