Kernel Fault on SGI Octane

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
LarBob
Donor
Donor

Kernel Fault on SGI Octane

Unread postby LarBob » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:28 am

Hi, I have an Octane system with an odd issue. Whenever I turn it on after not being used for a while, it greets me with this message after a while of starting up:

Code: Select all

PANIC: CPU 1: KERNEL FAULT
PC: 0xa800000020336c68 ep: 0xffffffffffffbc48
EXC code: 128, 'Software detected SEGV '
Bad addr: 0x3e8, cause: 0x8<CE=0
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Apparently this is sometimes due to the graphics, but most of the issues I've read about were always. This machine usually works if you let it sit long enough. Could this be due to a bad cap that doesn't get charged for a long time? The only reason I think this is because if you let it sit at that screen for a while and then reboot it usually seems to work. At first, reseating the RAM seemed to work, but that could have just been luck as it doesn't now. I've reseated the CPU board as well. I've also cleaned the contacts on the graphics board as I had an earlier issue with no display which was fixed by that. I'm obviously no expert with these machines so any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

joshiggins

Re: Kernel Fault on SGI Octane

Unread postby joshiggins » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:11 pm

I get the same on boot up with an MXI board :(

The dump confirms a fault occurs in Xsgi. I think I ran 'chkconfig savecore on' to enable that. Boots fine with a different graphics board...

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Re: Kernel Fault on SGI Octane

Unread postby LarBob » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:12 pm

joshiggins wrote:I get the same on boot up with an MXI board :(

The dump confirms a fault occurs in Xsgi. I think I ran 'chkconfig savecore on' to enable that. Boots fine with a different graphics board...

So it probably is the graphics board and it's just kind of sporadic. Thanks
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

Return to “SGI: Hardware”