Finally got my onyx2 running

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
opcode

Finally got my onyx2 running

Unread postby opcode » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:21 am

I finally got my onyx2 up and running this weekend with a fresh 6.5.30 install. I thought I would post because it was kind of a pain figuring out the net install. I was lucky that I had a bootable disk from the previous owner. I could not figure out how to pull the "MAC" address for the ethers file. From what I understand, the system has a "NIC" and isn't like a normal system. I finally used lmhostid and added the first portion of the sgi Ethernet addresses of 0800. Everything worked using that. I was lucky to have a wyse terminal so I could get in because the console was set to d in the prom env. I wasn't getting the graphics start menu during boot to enter the graphics prom. I set it to console g1.

I was kind of shocked that the display settings didn't have a 1280x1024@76hz. I am running reality graphics with a dg-2. I wanted to ask if it supports that before trying to make my own settings file.

One more question. How would you find the hardware network address if you only had asscess to the prom console?

I'm still getting everything setup so I'd like to post some photos soon.
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Finally got my onyx2 running

Unread postby uunix » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:30 am

printenv. which will show you the eaddr
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

opcode

Unread postby opcode » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 am

Of course I tried printenv. The eaddr wasn't listed. Even after I reset the env, it still wasn't listed.
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 am

Maybe this link might help:

http://nixdoc.net/man-pages/IRIX/hinv.1.html

"hinv -c network"
Image................. Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image; Image...... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image;
Image Image; Image........... Image; Image... ImageImage Image.... Here they are: :arrow:

opcode

Unread postby opcode » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am

I tried that. My power has been off for three days because of the hurricane. I'll run it again when I can boot it.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”