Help needed with a FORE Systems VMA-200

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jebmayers

Help needed with a FORE Systems VMA-200

Unread postby jebmayers » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 am

Hi all,

I am trying to get a FORE Systems VMA-200 working in my Onyx. I am using the drivers from irix659_vma_5.1.1.4_72941a.

On boot I get the following error:

Code: Select all

WARNING: ecd_vma200e_edtinit: Device adapter ./fore_c000/fatm is unknown model FORE, VMA-200
WARNING: ecd_vma200e_edtinit: edtinint failed for ./fore_c000/fatm

Shortly after though, I get the message:

Initializing FORE ATM adapters ... Done

When IRIX finishes booting, I have no network adapters apart from ef0.

So all this makes me wonder if I have an earlier version of the VMA card that isnt the E variant - the board differs from the diagram in the user manual - mine has a daughter board above the optical transceiver and my DIP switches are grouped together. Attached some photos.

I get no mention of it in a hinv, apart from possibly this mysterious entry:

VME bus: adapter 45
VME bus: adapter 0 mapped to adapter 45

*edit* I removed the FORE card and the adapter 45 remained in the hinv, so I guess this isn't it.

So does anyone have any ideas about what might be wrong? A picture of another board might help, and what I should expect to see in a hinv.

*edit 2* I found jan-jaap's Onyx hinv with the vma-200e card in it, so I now know what to look for in the hinv

ATM VMA-200E OC-3: VME_bus_adapter 13, VME_A16_base_addr 0xc000, unit 1

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13513

Any help would be much appreciated,

Jeb
Attachments
fore2.jpg
fore1.jpg

jebmayers

Re: Help needed with a FORE Systems VMA-200

Unread postby jebmayers » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:10 pm

So talking to some others it is possible that this is an earlier revision of the card and therefore may need earlier drivers. Would anyone happen to have them? I am not having much luck finding them on the internet.

Cheers,

Jeb

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:28 am

PM sent.
jebmayers wrote:*edit 2* I found jan-jaap's Onyx hinv with the vma-200e card in it, so I now know what to look for in the hinv

ATM VMA-200E OC-3: VME_bus_adapter 13, VME_A16_base_addr 0xc000, unit 1

Yeah, unfortunately that Onyx fried all it's VME cards when a bent pin on the IO4 put 48VDC from the backplane on the VME bus. It was the only ATM hardware I ever had so it had nothing to talk to in the first place.

For the VME 100Mbit card the jumper settings were essential. Maybe your ATM card jumper settings are all wrong? I think that dead ATM card should still be somewhere, but to find it ...
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:22 am

I did check the jumper settings and they seem to be set to the default positions in the user manual - this is what alerted me to the fact that my card might be different as the dip switches are in different positions than indicated in the manual. The VMA-200E has SW1 in one corner of the board and SW2 on the opposite one - as you can see from my pics on mine they are both next to each other.

Let me know if you find your card Jan-Jaap, I would be interested in buying it even if it is fried.

Jeb

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:52 am

So after inspecting the 6.2 drivers there does indeed seem to be 2 versions of this card - this release of the drivers contains both vma200.bin and vma200e.bin files. Unfortunately attempts to install the 6.2 drivers under 6.5.22 have failed, so I am face with either switching back to IRIX 6.2 (which I don't have) or trying to find a VMA-200E (which might be hard!).

Oh well.

Jeb

Return to “SGI: Hardware”