SGI O2 HDD caddy (STL file needed for 3D printing)

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
swarm

SGI O2 HDD caddy (STL file needed for 3D printing)

Unread postby swarm » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 am

Hi everyone,

does anybody have an STL file of SGI O2 HDD caddy? (for 3D printers)

I have a few O2 workstations that are without hard drives. It's not a problem to obtain a SCSI drive but the HDD caddy was unique for this computer. If nobody has it, I will make one by myself. I just want to be sure before spending one day in OpenSCAD...

HurricaneJames

Re: SGI O2 HDD caddy (STL file needed for 3D printing)

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:46 am

Haha, so I wasn't the only person thinking about making replacement parts this morning :)
:320: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane: :Octane: Image

swarm

Unread postby swarm » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:59 am

The first version is ready to print. I don't think that it will fit well in the computer - minor modifications will probably be needed.

I will share the STL file of the final model.
Attachments
sgi-o2-hdd-caddy.jpg

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:01 am

Wow, you did that fast.

swarm

Unread postby swarm » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:37 pm

It's still a long way to go. After four hours of printing, it looks like it will take at least another six.

Unfortunately, the first prototype is usually not the one that works. There is a high chance that I will have to remeasure everything, modify the model and print it again.
Attachments
IMG_20170819_220321.jpg

swarm

Unread postby swarm » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:10 am

(After sixteen hours of printing) The first prototype is done... and... it doesn't work very well :)

It was necessary to tweak it with a knife. Now it is possible to insert it in the computer but it is hard to pull it out.

The next version might be ok.
Attachments
IMG_20170820_143336.jpg

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:22 am

Nice printer. That thing has huge build volume. Mine is about an 3cm to small for the sled, so I'm going to have to break it up and glue it, at least for the first couple prototypes.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:27 am

I'm interested in these 3d printers. Any advice on purchasing one? I looked on ebay, most expensive I could find was £6k, I want to spend no where near that of course.

It would have to go up in the shed, so possibly, networked or I'd have to stick a PC up there, which wouldn't be an awful thing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:28 pm

How long did it take you to become proficent in openscad? I decided to give it a try for a similar project, it took hours to create anything, and my model has lots of floating point issues where vertices do not line up perfectly. I'm sure it it is just ramp up pains, but cannot even estimate the time before it is less painful.

swarm

Unread postby swarm » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 am

uunix: I would recommend the current generation of Prusa i3 printers. It's still more a hobby thing and I see many aspects that could be improved (software, produced noise, default slicer configuration), however the print quality is comparable with much more expensive printers. I've bought it as a kit under £600. This printer doesn't need to be connected to a computer because it can print from an SD card.

HurricaneJames: I would not be able to make such object in openscad. It would take at least one day even with all useful macros that a friend of mine created. Long time ago I was creating graphics elements for 3D games so I used an old 3D modeler tool to make the most of this model (it has only 700 triangles that I made manually in two hours). Then I converted it to STL, opened it in openscad and added a few elements and holes.

I think that OpenSCAD is not done by real engineers because there is a lot of missing functionality that is usually a must in every serious CAD software. However its alternative - FreeCAD - is even worse.
Attachments
sgi-o2-hdd-lw.png
sgi-o2-hdd-lw.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 350 times

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:17 am

swarm wrote:HurricaneJames: I would not be able to make such object in openscad. It would take at least one day even with all useful macros that a friend of mine created. Long time ago I was creating graphics elements for 3D games so I used an old 3D modeler tool to make the most of this model (it has only 700 triangles that I made manually in two hours). Then I converted it to STL, opened it in openscad and added a few elements and holes.

I think that OpenSCAD is not done by real engineers because there is a lot of missing functionality that is usually a must in every serious CAD software. However its alternative - FreeCAD - is even worse.

Ah, in that case it would seem my assessment was unfortunately correct. I spent an entire afternoon and did not even finish one of the sled sides. Previously, I used 123D Design, but it was recently shutdown. TinkerCAD is back, but it lacks vertex manipulation. I'll probably switch to Blender. Heh, maybe I can find my old copy of 3DS Max or SoftImage from ~2002-2004 and run it on my VW320.

kubatyszko
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kubatyszko » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Nice, when are you going to print full O2 case ? It might help solve the crumbling plastic problem that many of us have ;)
Designer of Fuel ATX PSU adapter board : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16730291&p=7386863#p7386400
(now ships from USA)

swarm

Unread postby swarm » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 pm

kubatyszko: I cannot imagine true SGI workstation without a crappy plastic case.

In fact, I would like to print the optical drive front plate which is missing on two of my O2 workstations. Unfortunately, there is no ABS/PLA filament with this dark blue color.

swarm

Unread postby swarm » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:16 pm

The second prototype works well. It took 13 hours and 51 minutes to print the model (113 grams of the material were used) on Prusa i3 MK2.

I will send all source files tomorrow so anyone can print this hdd caddy at home.
Attachments
_DSF9744.jpg
_DSF9745.jpg
_DSF9742.jpg
_DSF9741.jpg

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:14 pm

swarm wrote:kubatyszko: I cannot imagine true SGI workstation without a crappy plastic case.

In fact, I would like to print the optical drive front plate which is missing on two of my O2 workstations. Unfortunately, there is no ABS/PLA filament with this dark blue color.

Are you able to find a filament with the correct gray/black accent color? You could 3D print a door from that and it would look like an accent piece. Alternatively, you con always print in white and paint it.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”