Quieting the Octane. Maintain thermal control

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
ubiquityxx

Quieting the Octane. Maintain thermal control

Unread postby ubiquityxx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:29 pm

I spent last night looking over the different threads on softening the noise Octane systems generate. From what I gathered this is what you all have done or recommend to be done:

1) Replace one or all of the fans in the PSU, Drive bay and XBow with newer, quieter fans.
2) Voltage regulator for the Drive bay fan

I'm looking for fan recommendations, within the last year - if possible, that require minimal modification to retrofit. Innovations in thermal control for computers have been awesome in the recent years and I want to see if I can take advantage of that.

I have an Octane 2 8GB V12 15K drive

Thanks!
:Octane2: 2x400MHz 8GB V12 15K

necron2600

Re: Quieting the Octane. Maintain thermal control

Unread postby necron2600 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:48 pm

I recently purchased:
Slipstream120 Scythe model SY1225SL12SH 12v, 0.53A
Zalman 92mm plus fan ZM-F2 Plus (SF)
and a ShicoH ICFAN 0610-12L (delivered from china I think) to replace the small/thin front fan.

However, they are still in boxes. I am worried to even use them as some threads here indicated potential cooling problems with anything other than stock fans. While I like my hearing, I love my Octane more.

On top of that.. i was unable to pull out my front after unscrewing the 6 screws.. seemed stuck on the top (bottom was able to get some play). Didnt want to pull out flat-head screw drivers and make a mess either.

ubiquityxx

Unread postby ubiquityxx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Send them to me, I'll install and let you know how it goes :)
:Octane2: 2x400MHz 8GB V12 15K

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

necron2600 wrote:On top of that.. i was unable to pull out my front after unscrewing the 6 screws.. seemed stuck on the top (bottom was able to get some play). Didnt want to pull out flat-head screw drivers and make a mess either.

The steel plate that holds the Xbow and drive bay? Yeah, that happened to me too. Couldn't get one of the screws out. I actually had to destroy the screw head to get it out. That was a PITA.

I have also wondered about replacing the aging fans in the Octanes, but I don't want to fry my systems by undercooling them.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:18 pm

So I decided to replace my Octane's fans.

I replaced the HDD fan with:
Zalman 92mm plus fan ZM-F2 Plus (SF)
Looks and sounds fine there.

I replaced the front-plane CPU with the exact same product.. just one that is brand new:
ShicoH ICFAN 0610-12L
No difference there as expected.

I did replace the PSU's fan with:
Slipstream120 Scythe model SY1225SL12SH
Very very easy.. just swapped red/yellow pins and good to go.. no cutting, soldering.. a drop-in replacement (except for shortening a couple bolts holding the fan in.. so there was some 'cutting' I guess).
However, my Slipstream120 made a high pitch whine.. I did not even let my Octane boot all the way, I could not take it. I tried restarting a couple times, even took out the Slipstream and put it back in again, no luck. So I restored the original Panaflo fan in the PSU.

I did get to appreciate the industrial-like quality and sturdy feel of the original panaflo fan.. especially when comparing it to the Slipstream120.

In the end, I really only 'changed' the HDD fan.. and I am not sure I hear any difference in my particular Octane.

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Oh.. regarding:
On top of that.. i was unable to pull out my front after unscrewing the 6 screws.. seemed stuck on the top (bottom was able to get some play). Didnt want to pull out flat-head screw drivers and make a mess either.

I ended up using various sizes of a flat head screwdriver to pry it out as delicately as possible.. Apparently the hard disk drive rails have black bits securing them that have plugs exposed on the outside of the HDD chassis. I have other Octanes around and they all have their HDD chassis come out easily.. just this one particular Octane has an overly extreme tight fit that needs excessive force to remove.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”