Flashing PROM from L1/L2/L3/whatever - without IRIX ??

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
kubatyszko
Donor
Donor

Flashing PROM from L1/L2/L3/whatever - without IRIX ??

Unread postby kubatyszko » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:15 pm

I finally got the L2 software working in a VM ( thanks to this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16732130&start=15#p7402817 ), and it turns I seem to have been wrong about the ability to flash PROM in Fuel on a botched motherboard.

A few years ago I bricked my motherboard during flashing PROM - I had bad V12 installed and it froze mid-flash.
I read somewhere that there might be a way to flash the PROM using one of L1/L2/L3 , but no luck, and especially now that I have L2 I realised that L2 doesn't offer anything that L1 wouldn't (other than ability to manage multiple machines).

After reading further, the manuals that mention flashing PROM seem to be for Altix, so that might be why I can't do that on Fuel.

Too bad, not giving up though, I now have 2 options - desolder the chips and clone them (easy, I have the tools) or find out a way to flash them without desoldering, there are 2 service headers and I'm pretty sure one of them should have the signals wired up.
Designer of Fuel ATX PSU adapter board : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16732341
(now ships from USA), In stock!

Return to “SGI: Hardware”