Onyx 2 IR3 Resolution Issue with 2 RM's installed

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Irinikus

Onyx 2 IR3 Resolution Issue with 2 RM's installed

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:49 am

Today, while trying to sort out my Onyx 2's graphics problems, I ended up by stupidly typing "resetenv" into the command monitor and subsequently rebooting the machine only to find that it no longer worked!

According to the display on the machine, the system itself seems to be OK, but when it gets to the stage where it completes its startup checks, the display on the monitor doesn't change form the initial screen which you get on startup.

This is the screen that it continues to show

IMG_2377.JPG

I would really appreciate it if someone could please explain to me in detail, what I need to do to restore the machine to a working state?
Last edited by Irinikus on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...ImageSnapshot
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......ImageSnapshot
Image...Image .........................................................ImageSnapshot
......Image..........Image ...........................................................ImageSnapshot
............Image..............Image Image........................................................ImageSnapshot

Irinikus

Re: Onyx 2 no longer working

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:50 pm

I managed to get it working again, by making use of my 320 with HyperTerminal and a direct null modem cable. :D

In the process of getting the machine running again, I found a legitimate use for my 320! :D

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...ImageSnapshot
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......ImageSnapshot
Image...Image .........................................................ImageSnapshot
......Image..........Image ...........................................................ImageSnapshot
............Image..............Image Image........................................................ImageSnapshot

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:02 pm

The system is at leas t running now!

There is still however the problem that, even with the new DG5-8 installed, the system will only work with one of the raster managers installed.
Even though I have tested both of them individually and they both work.

I replaced the DG5-2 that the system came with, thinking that the problem was with the display generator, but clearly it's not!

None of the pins on the mid-plane are broken or bent, so does anyone have any ideas?

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:03 pm

So the slots you have occupied for a single rasterboard are (from left):
1(CPU) , 2(CPU), 3(GE16), 4(RM10), 5(empty), 6(DG5)
or
1(CPU) , 2(CPU), 3(GE16), 4(empty), 5(RM10), 6(DG5)

What happens when you shift the RM10 to slot 5? I suspect that either slot 4 or 5 has a bad connector.
Last edited by dexter1 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: should be dg5
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:07 pm

I have tested it in slot 5 before and it didn't work, however, is this an allowable configuration: having a RM in slot 5 without one in slot 4?

If this configuration is allowable, then slot 5 is bad. :(

It however shows no physical signs of being bad though.

I really don't want to have to suffer the process of replacing the mid-plane (all those nuts and bolts), but it looks as though that may be my only option now! :shock:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:47 pm

I can't test this specific configuration anymore, but this should be no dissimilar from other IR setups on the Onyx2. In contrast, early Reality Engines relied on a terminated bus for the raster boards, which means that the last raster board on that bus carries the 9 resistor jumperpacks, like in my Crimson.

If anyone has specific information about Onyx2 Raster board location indifference, please let us know.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:54 pm

I will test this combo for you when my replacement GE board arrives Irinikus.

Jeb

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:35 pm

jebmayers wrote:I will test this combo for you when my replacement GE board arrives Irinikus.

Jeb

Thanks for the help in advance! :D

mazzinia

Unread postby mazzinia » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:19 am

noob here.

have you tried with
./irsaudit
and both cards installed (or cards installed individually and eventually in different slots) ?
:O2: :Fuel: HP c8000 Digital PWS 500au (x2) , IBM 9402-P03

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:19 pm

When I slot the second RM10 into slot 5 (RM1 in slot 4 and RM2 in slot 5) and power the system on, the screen remains absolutely blank.
When I run the system with only one RM10 slotted in slot 4, then the system runs properly.

mazzinia

Unread postby mazzinia » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:44 am

again noob question.... did you inspect visually the connectors of slot 5, in case something somehow is causing a short btw 2 pins ?

and... when the screen is blank ( 2 cards installed ), the values through L1 are all correct ? ( currents )
:O2: :Fuel: HP c8000 Digital PWS 500au (x2) , IBM 9402-P03

mopar5150

Unread postby mopar5150 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 am

These machines are very susceptible to power input. Are you running it on 110 or 220v?
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:04 pm

mopar5150 wrote:These machines are very susceptible to power input. Are you running it on 110 or 220v?

I'm running the machine on a 220v supply.

Irinikus

Re: Onyx 2 Possible mid plane issue

Unread postby Irinikus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 am

I'm unfortunately going to be away from my home in Cape Town for the next four months or so, so I will only be able to troubleshoot this machine again when I'm next in Cape Town.

I will start by plugging in the second raster manager and monitoring the systems boot procedure over serial. (when the second raster manager is plugged in the system boots int the OS, but absolutely nothing is displayed on the screen from the moment that the key is turned to the on position, not even the IR 3 info)

From there, I will dismantle the machine completely and carry out a thorough inspection of the mid plane (and carry out a repair if I find anything). I will then reassemble the machine and try again.

If the problem persists I will order another mid plane.

jebmayers

Re: Onyx 2 Possible mid plane issue

Unread postby jebmayers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi Irinikus,

So my replacement GE16 board arrived yesterday, along with a nice couple of RM10s and a spare DG5-2 - Infinte Reality 3! ;o) Along the way I hope I have come across the answer to your problem also. Here is what I tried:

Existing setup: GE14-2 (XG MAP RAM error - as detailed here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16732114), 1xRM8, DG5-2.

1) Replaced GE14-2 with the GE16. System back to normal as expected \o/
2) Tried moving the RM8 to slot 5 to test Dexter1's slot indifference theory - this didn't work, it produced white and black noise on the screen.
3) Took out RM8, put 1 of the RM10s in slot 4 - system working
4) Put the second RM10 - black screen exactly as you describe in your problem!
5) Swapped the RM10s around, but didn't connect the one in slot 5 - system working
6) connected the one in slot 5, again black screen.

So it appears that I had the same issue as you. Here is how I got to the bottom of my problem and how I solved it:

a) Booted the system in the blind state, with monitor, keyboard and mouse still attached. Logged in using the serial console
b) Did a /usr/gfx/gfxinfo - it can see all the boards. Noticed something odd, the display had set itself to 1920x1080_72 which is beyond my monitors capabilities (1280x1024)
c) Rebooted, disconnected mouse/kb/monitor - booted using serial console only
d) logged in as root, ran /usr/diags/IR/bin/irsaudit - all tests pass
e) ran /usr/gfx/gfxinit to init the IR boards
f) ran /usr/gfx/setmon -x 1280x1024_60 to set the default display mode
g) rebooted and as soon as I connected the monitor and mouse the display kicked into life - 4GEs 2RMs ;o)

And that is it - the system is now running normally with both RMs and I have an IR3 Onyx2 ;o) Ran the Hong Kong demo and it ran at least 3 times faster than my Origin2000 with MXE. This made me happy ;o)

So there seems to be a weird quirk with these graphics boards where if you have 1xRM it seems to default to 1280x1024_60 but if you then add a second one it switches to 1920x1080_72 until you reset it. This may mean that Dexters slot indifference test in 2) might still work if the graphics mode has been reset before you try it - i.e. going from 2 boards and disconnecting the one in slot4 might still work. I will try this if you are still having problems, but I am hoping that my solution will also work for you so I don't have to try!

Jeb

Return to “SGI: Hardware”