Onyx 2 IR3 Resolution Issue with 2 RM's installed

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Irinikus

Re: Onyx 2 Possible mid plane issue

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi Jeb,

Thanks very much for the help, I really appreciate it!

It seems that you have solved my problem, as your machine behaved in the exact same way as mine!

I will only be back in Cape Town in the next few months so I will do what you did then.

I'm sure it will work and I will give feedback then.

BTW enjoy your machine! :D

Thanks again,
Nick
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:
Image... Image ...:arrow:
Image................Image ......:arrow:
Image.........................Image Image....:arrow:

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:04 am

Hehe, I was thinking this - it is so annoying that you are not going back for a few months! ;o)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:06 am

jebmayers wrote:Hehe, I was thinking this - it is so annoying that you are not going back for a few months! ;o)

It's a bit of a bummer, but I suppose that's life! :D
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:01 am

BTW, I also got black and white noise on the screen when I only plugged one RM10 into slot 5.

So I'm sure that if I follow the procedure you followed I will get good results!

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 am

jebmayers wrote:And that is it - the system is now running normally with both RMs and I have an IR3 Onyx2 ;o) Ran the Hong Kong demo and it ran at least 3 times faster than my Origin2000 with MXE. This made me happy ;o)
Glad to hear you were able to successfully resolve the issue.

jebmayers wrote:So there seems to be a weird quirk with these graphics boards where if you have 1xRM it seems to default to 1280x1024_60 but if you then add a second one it switches to 1920x1080_72 until you reset it.

That's not an unreasonable conclusion, but more than likely your system attempted to load 1920x1080_72 because that was the resolution set/used by the previous owner of your new GE-16.

The Graphics Engine in InfiniteReality graphics systems stores display format code in an EEPROM. There's a command line tool called ireeprom located in /usr/gfx/KONA/bin that you might find useful. For instance you can clear the stored display resolution(s) and reset the graphics output to the IR default of a single display at 1280x1024_60 with the command ./ireeprom -c

Unfortunately ireeprom doesn't have a man page, but there is a basic run down available in the nekowiki: InfiniteReality: The Graphics Engine EEPROM Commands That article has been static for almost nine years, please feel free to add to it if you'd like.

On the flip side, display formats, called combinations, are loaded into the GE EEPROM using ircombine. If you aren't already familiar with ircombine, a copy of the Video Format Combiner Tutorial can probably still be found on one of the TechPubs mirrors. There's a *very* brief description of using ircombine to switch from a single 1920x1200_60 display to a 3200x1200_60 display combination that spanned two 1600x1200 monitors in this post.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:01 am

recondas wrote:That's not an unreasonable conclusion, but more than likely your system attempted to load 1920x1080_72 because that was the resolution set/used by the previous owner of your new GE-16.

Hi - the system had been booted several times successfully in 1280x1024_60 with the new GE16 board. It was only when the second RM10 was added that the display switched to 1920x1080_72

Jeb

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:06 am

So it seems that the IR3 setup assumes the if you have two RM's fitted that you will be running an HD screen.

My machine runs successfully with one RM fitted at 1024x768, Its only when I plug in the second raster manager, that the screen remains blank.

At this point I tried to force the monitor to switch on and it said resolution not supported (I mistakenly thought that it was trying to output garbage to the screen). In hind sight I should have realized what the problem was!

I can't wait to get back to my home in Cape Town and sort my machine out!

It's a real pity that this was'nt discovered a week ago, as I was in Cape Town at the time!

It really bugs me when things don't work properly!
Last edited by Irinikus on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Irinikus

Re: Onyx 2 IR3 dual pipe Resolution Issue

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 am

Sorry for the stupid question: But is it not at all possible to issue these commands to the IR setup from the Command Monitor in the prom over serial?

The reason why I ask is that I was able to change the machine's output from serial to graphical in the past via the Command Monitor in the Prom.

I humbly have to admit ignorance here, in that I haven't booted into IRIX over serial before, so this is new territory for me. (I haven't had the need as yet)

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 am

i am guessing that you can change the PROM default resolution from the PROM but this would still leave you with IRIX booting at 1920x1080 so I think booting in via serial console is going to be necessary. Don't worry to much, its not really that different from booting into IRIX and using a console.

You could also rlogin if you felt more comfortable doing it that way, assuming that the PROM is set to autoboot IRIX.

Jeb

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks Jeb,

As far as I know, the machine is currently not set to auto-boot IRIX since I reset all the environment variables.

When I boot the machine, It boots to the prom menu and I have to select "Start System" to start the IRIX boot process.

I have actually seen it boot to OS over serial, but I have not used the machine in this state.

I checked a video on YouTube and it boots straight to a console type mode.

I will just have to tackle it when I get home.

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Yup, that is pretty much it - there is nothing too it really, hopefully it won't take you more than 10 minutes to sort it out.

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:22 am

Hi Irinikus,

Before you attempt to fix your issue can you dump the contents of the GE EEPROM?

/usr/gfx/KONA/bin/ireeprom -r -p 0 -f /usr/people/guest/ireeprom.bin

and upload it. Mine is showing 1280x1024_60.vfo as you would expect as I have fixed my issue, it will be interesting to see what yours contains.

I can confirm that the previous owner was running mine with a 1920x1080 monitor, so what recondas said in his post makes sense - what doesn't is why when only using 1xRM it was outputting at 1280x1024. Maybe it stores the board configuration as well and will only output at the stored resolution if it matches, and that configuration in both our cases specifies 2xRMs?

I can only really speculate, but it would be interesting to get your eeprom contents before you fix the issue.

Jeb

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:33 am

I will do so.

You might find that the system doesn't use the RM's to render alternate frames such as in SLI, but rather splits the frame being rendered between the RM's that are present in the system?

Just a thought

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:45 am

Yes, that is exactly what multiple RMs do - it splits the screen into vertical strips and renders alternate strips on each RM.

Jeb

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:54 am

That could explain it.

With modern day GPU setups, the GPU's are used to render alternate frames and this results in a terrible anomaly (Micro-stutter),
As a result, unless they properly implement NVLink, which from what I can tell, splits the frame being rendered between multiple GPU's, I will never run a multi-GPU setup ever again! (It's absolutely not worth it, no matter what anybody says!)

So the IR system is probably more like a very primitive version of the NVLink idea? (a necessary step though!)

Return to “SGI: Hardware”