Onyx 2 IR3 Resolution Issue with 2 RM's installed

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jebmayers

Re: Onyx 2 IR3 dual pipe Resolution Issue

Unread postby jebmayers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:26 am

I am not sure the thread description is correct at the moment to be honest, I think it is a dual raster manager issue not a dual pipe issue. As I understand it, a single graphics pipe is 1xGE, 1-4xRMs and a DG. A second pipe would consist of another GE,1-4xRMs and DG.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, I have never seen a dual pipe setup before. Presumably this could run in an SLIesque AFR configuration.

Jeb

Irinikus

Re: Onyx 2 IR3 Resolution Issue with 2 RM's installed

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:31 am

You have a point there, I will correct it.
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...ImageSnapshot
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......ImageSnapshot
Image...Image .........................................................ImageSnapshot
......Image..........Image ...........................................................ImageSnapshot
............Image..............Image Image........................................................ImageSnapshot

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:00 am

I am hoping to get a dual pipe Onyx2 rack soon - I have been trying to get one shipped for a while now, I have a nice place for it all organised next to my Onyx rack. I can't wait to see what 2 pipes can do!

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:07 am

That sounds awesome!

Those Onyx2 racks are awesome looking pieces of equipment!

I will also be interested to now exactly how those systems work with their dual DG's? (how are they configured?)
............Image...............Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...ImageSnapshot
.............Image................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......ImageSnapshot
Image...Image .........................................................ImageSnapshot
......Image..........Image ...........................................................ImageSnapshot
............Image..............Image Image........................................................ImageSnapshot

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:13 am

Irinikus wrote:I will also be interested to now exactly how those systems work with their dual DG's? (how are they configured?)

Yeah, me too!

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 pm

I have managed to take a look at my Onyx2 and I am still having problems!

Here’s a screenshot of the consol when the system has one raster manager fitted: (take notice of the graphical information regarding screen resolution etc)

7F8F60B2-7EA3-4BAE-BF07-4255EB14835A.jpeg

Here’s a screenshot of the consol over serial when the machine is running with both rather managers fitted: (take notice of the strange resolution setting and the lack of additional information regarding the output to the screen)

E16CB7FB-E8D6-456A-ABEB-23E6138AF5E3.jpeg

I am unable to change the screen resolution in IRIX, as the x server is not available!

I installed IRIX on the machine with only one raster manager installed, couldn’t this possibly be the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 pm

OK!!!

I managed to fix the problem by going into IRIX with one raster manager installed and typing the command: “/use/gfx/sermon 1280x1024_60”

The machine then asked me if I wanted this setting to be the new power on default? I said yes, it made the adjustment and I powered the machine down.

I then slotted the second raster manager and restarted the machine, and it worked! :D

0609821E-69DB-42C8-BA08-D7C9C777D884.jpeg

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:40 am

Hi Irinikus,

I am glad you have it sorted, I think this is pretty much what I did when I fixed my problem.

Did you remember to dump the contents of the GE EEPROM before you fixed the issue to test my theory? If so can you post what .vfo file it was specifying?

Jeb

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:27 am

Hi Jeb,

I was unfortunately not able to dump the GE EEPROM, as I was unable to properly access the graphics system when I went in via serial. The system told me that the graphics pipeline appeared to be managed,but was unresponsive.

I do however know that it was trying to output a resolution of: 2196x976 to the monitor, which is different to the 1920x1080 that you had.

Therefore I can also only assume that the system only displays the default stored resolution when the system configuration matches that of the system when the resolution was stored and defaults to 1024x768 when it doesn’t.

I’m very sorry that I wasn’t able to dump the GE EEPROM for you!

jebmayers

Unread postby jebmayers » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:37 am

Yeah I think this is right - the GE EEPROM stores the board configuration along with the default vfo and will use this when it matches, otherwise it will output at a safe resolution. This certainly explains the problems we both had.

It doesn't matter, the important thing is that we both now have 2 working RMs ;o)

Jeb

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:43 am

jebmayers wrote:Yeah I think this is right - the GE EEPROM stores the board configuration along with the default vfo and will use this when it matches, otherwise default to something sensible. This certainly explains the problems we both had.

It doesn't matter, the
jebmayers wrote:Yeah I think this is right - the GE EEPROM stores the board configuration along with the default vfo and will use this when it matches, otherwise default to something sensible. This certainly explains the problems we both had.

It doesn't matter, the important thing is that we both now have 2 working RMs ;o)

Jeb

It’s great that both of our machines are working as they should! :D

It’s feels great to have finally sorted the problem out, as it bothered me for quite a while.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”