Bent pins on Octane front plane

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
HurricaneJames

Bent pins on Octane front plane

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:44 pm

So, I bought an Octane on *bay a couple weeks ago, my first. It has been an adventure. First, the power supply did not want to work at all. After taking the whole thing apart, it turned out that a cable had been unplugged. I went ahead and checked all the caps with an ESR meter anyway, they all seem fine. However, the system still did not show any signs of life.

Detached cable... there is no way this thing came out on its own. I'm guessing somebody else though the power supply was bad and took it apart too, but forgot to reattach the cable.
20170721_212333.jpg

Further disassembly shows that the front plane has several bent pins on the CPU board connector. Does anybody have experience trying to rehab these pins? I'm going to try either way, but I suspect both the front plane and the CPU board will need to be replaced.

20170724_171300.jpg

20170724_171305.jpg

The connector that caused the problem.
20170724_171547.jpg

Also, the compression connection looks like it might have a slight divot, but I'm not sure. I know these things are crazy sensitive. You can see the scratch/divot on the top row, between the second and third pin from the right. Is this likely to be even worse than the bent pins.

20170724_171650.jpg

20170724_171711.jpg
:320: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane: :Octane: Image

robespierre

Re: Bent pins on Octane front plane

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Hard to tell if the compression connector is damaged. Those fragile connectors are replaceable: they are a thin sandwich with dendrites on both sides, that are compressed between gold pads on the board side and the frontplane side. The dendrites are the delicate part, and should only be cleaned with great care using completely inert spray solvents (Novec, AK-225) without rubbing.

The bent pins of the Metric connector look *very* bent. I've been very successful unbending pins using a special Edsyn pry tool, but those look like they may snap off if straightened. The chassis may be bent: look at the row of pins that are all bent outwards. There's nothing visibly wrong with those contacts on the board connector, so they must have been misaligned during insertion.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Oh, interesting, I never considered that the chassis might be bent. The thing is so heavy I guess I assumed it was essentially bend proof. I figured somebody used the bigger hammer theory when the board didn't slot in as expected. Is there an easy way to tell if the chassis is bent? Not really any sightlines to see how the connectors are going in.

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah, pins broke. I waited until the morning when I was less tired, but it didn't matter. I managed to straighten about half of the pins, but the ones at the top didn't bend at all, they just snapped. I pulled the board apart further, those sockets do not appear to be soldered in, I assume they have some kind of surface mount on the other side with blue on the socket holder. Further, the power pins look like they have scorching. I think it is safe to call this machine a total loss.

I would buy a new front plane and CPU, but I suspect I will end up replacing every single part, and what is the point in that, especially if there is a chance the chassis is bent and would damage pins again. Probably best to break out the angle grinder and drill press and convert this thing to an x86 show piece :(

20170725_100410.jpg

20170725_100353.jpg

20170725_094831.jpg

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:13 am

Yes, it looks like a loss to me. Sorry :(
I suppose the connector could be surface mount, but generally it isn't used on large connectors because of cold-flow problems that can lead to misalignment. More likely it is just press-fit and doesn't protrude through the extremely thick circuit board.

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am

yeah that machine look shot. i had a similar wxperiance. my first machine was an octane. i have a spare octane. i can send it your way cheap if your interested pm or email me. do not try to reuse the backpane off that machine on the one i send though you rist mangling the working machine. as a plus you can probally salvage the memory cpu hdd sleds and power supply off yours though.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:32 pm

I would write off the power supply too: look at those pins! Rarely do you see such severe arc damage. It looks like someone pulled the PSU while under full load.

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:37 pm

the octanes are pretty common you can just replace that bad supply with a good one easy enough. its not like some of the bigger hatdware like the crimson where the parts are hard to find.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 pm

This looks like a money pit, buy another and make sure it fires up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Definitely getting another one. On the bright side, the plastics on this one are in decent condition, so at least I have that.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”