Weight of a SGI Onyx Terminator / Moving suggestions

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

Weight of a SGI Onyx Terminator / Moving suggestions

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am

Alright, getting close to the time i need to move the terminator rack. I have no lift gate on the van, so it certainly is not going to be lifted and put in there upright. How heavy is one of these? The plan is to tip it over and slide it into the van. Worked with my pdp 11 rack, but i think this could be heavier.

Is there anything heavy that i can take out that is relatively easy and quick to get to. there are a bunch of power supplys, those look kinda heavy and come out easy. I was going to take off the front doors too so they do not get bent or damaged. Going to throw down a movers blanket in the van so it does not scrape up the side.

I am worring that i will get there and it be an immovable object.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: Weight of a SGI Onyx Terminator / Moving suggestions

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:23 pm

According to the manual it weighs 560 - 800 lbs. That's lot to tip over without killing someone.

Power supplies are not that heavy (a rack has three, total weight maybe 25kg). Also, they're in the bottom of the rack, and you probably want to remove weight from the top half. I'm pretty sure you can remove the blower assembly but again it's only maybe 5 or 10kg. The metal panels (sides / back) come off.

The boards are quite heavy but I'd think twice before removing them. They're fragile.

When I got my Predator rack (4D/380) I used a horsebox because they come with a ramp. When I had my annex built and everything had to go into storage I used a truck with a tailgate lift. Either way you don't need to tip it over and two guys can comfortably move it around.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:53 pm

I don't have a trailer with a ramp or a truck with a lift gate available at the moment. A liftgate for the van is something I want to get down the line, its a pretty expensive addon.

I have a ton of the anti static bags that the boards for my onyx2 came in, and a lot of antistatic wrap. I dont want to have to take it apart, but if a major amount of the weight can be removed by disassembling it, thats what i am going to have to do from the looks of it. I know those boards are very prone to static damage, ill wear an anti static strap and pack them away safely.

Thats the only way i can see myself getting it loaded up and brought back. its going to be a big ordeal to take apart and reassemble.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:36 pm

details soon. i used a winch to pull it into the van. took all day but its here.
20170730_225858.jpg

HurricaneJames

Unread postby HurricaneJames » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:28 pm

That is a thing of true beauty!
:320: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane: :Octane: Image

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:58 pm

Getting a 3 phase outlet insalled is the next step. No clue where my camera charger went, my cell phone pictures come out blurry.

It was a big job getting it moved. My van is not running the best, I almost was not able to make the trip and had to delay over a starter issue. Angry noises would happen if i went over 55 MPH. It was a really long slow drive over there. I uses a come-along and some chain wrapped around the passenger seat to get it winched into the van. The issue was, getting it out of the van. My come along did not have a reverse switch to let it down...
We ended up having to let it down out out of the van by hand. Very scary, it is dead weight. there is no stopping it once it gets moving downward.

I would recommend the come-along method to others if you have only a 2500 van at you disposal as i do.

Overall a really happy with the purchase. Many extras were included. I was given a ton of extra RGB CRT monitors that were used in a flight simulator setup. If anyone wants some, I have many. You can kinda see one on the chair in the photo. Also i picked up a mrs pac man, jr pac man, and asteroids board. Quite excited to see if i can get jr pac man going, but thats a project for another day.

ScutBoy
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ScutBoy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:39 am

Quote from sun-rescue list back in the day was along the lines of:

"Big Iron. You learn about gravity, high-voltage, and first aid- sometimes all on the same day!"
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image

Return to “SGI: Hardware”