Sgi Onyx terminator rack - 3 phase questions

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

Sgi Onyx terminator rack - 3 phase questions

Unread postby MrBill » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:15 pm

So Along with the Onyx deskside I picked up in tampa florida today, i am going to be picking up a Onyx terminator rack. Trying to put myself in the mindset to get ready to load that up. It is heavy. Least of my worries. Once i get it back, i need to figure out how to power it. It is wired for 3 phase.
It is doubtful that the local utility company will offer 3 phase power where i am located. What are my options to get this thing powered? I do have 30 amp 110 and 220 volt outlets in the building, if either of those can be adapted to work...
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

robespierre

Re: Sgi Onyx terminator rack - 3 phase questions

Unread postby robespierre » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:55 pm

The standard, accepted way to turn 1 phase power (either 120 or 240 volts) into 3 phase is with a rotary converter. In some cases VFDs made for machine tools can also be used, but there are a number of caveats to their operation.
But the Onyx may not require 3 phase after all: DC power supplies are almost always run off a single phase. Others may know for certain, but I suspect it uses the different legs to isolate several power supplies from each other and avoid overloading a single circuit.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Irinikus

Re: Sgi Onyx terminator rack - 3 phase questions

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:27 am

I don't know whether this will work, but since the "Solar Revolution" started, 3-Phase inverters have become available at relatively low cost.

Is it not maybe possible to step down the supply voltage from you wall to the voltage that one of these inverters would accept, then rectify it to DC and use it to power the inverter, which then powers your Onyx rack?

What is the power consumption of the Onyx rack?
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image..............:arrow:
Image... Image ................................................................:arrow:
Image................Image ...................................................................:arrow:
Image.........................Image Image.................................................................:arrow:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”