What's the correct method for reconnecting the RealityEngine DI1 edge connector?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
tyfighter

What's the correct method for reconnecting the RealityEngine DI1 edge connector?

Unread postby tyfighter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:32 pm

I added another RM4 to the Crimson, and removing the edge connector board was easy enough. Getting the board in went without issue, and the snaps locked it in to the backplane.

But reconnecting the DI1 edge connector board seems difficult, and I'm worried about breaking things.
I've pushed it in as hard as I felt comfortable with, and it still just doesn't look well connected.
Scared of turning it back on until I know I've done it correctly.

I also already discovered that you *CAN NOT* use the screws to tighten down the board more than you've pushed it in.
That only bends the flimsy metal wings on board's connectors and the screws can get stuck as the metal bolt on the *inside* gets pulled out.

Any advice?
:Crimson: :Octane2: :Tezro:

dexter1

Re: What's the correct method for reconnecting the RealityEngine DI1 edge connector?

Unread postby dexter1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 pm

It almost sounds like something is wrong with the connector for the second RM4 board in the middle.

Try to "dry-fit" the connector by sliding out the second RM4 about 10 cm towards you and check if the connector would mate with the RM4 without force. There could be a pin bent or a hole blocked.

An yeah, those screws are just for show. If you tighten them, they wil pull the threadbolt out of the connector...
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

tyfighter

Re: What's the correct method for reconnecting the RealityEngine DI1 edge connector?

Unread postby tyfighter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:01 am

No bent pins, slots, or anything broken.

Connecting the middle RM first, reinserting the board, then just pushing *really* hard seems to have done a better job.
It still doesn't *look* totally connected to me, but I can't imagine pushing any harder than I did.

This is looking from the bottom up

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:10 am

That seems to be correct although i am not at my Crimson atm to verify this, so i will check in a few hours.

BTW, the threadbolt at the bottom-right of the picture is beginning to stick out already. It's probably only used to prevent the DI1 board form falling down :lol:
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

tyfighter

Unread postby tyfighter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:13 am

Yeah :oops: that was might fault. It wasn't like that before I tightened it down without knowing...
I had to squeeze the wing with pliers to keep the threadbolt held in place to back out the screw...

Return to “SGI: Hardware”