SGI IRIX tape drive compatibility questions

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

SGI IRIX tape drive compatibility questions

Unread postby MrBill » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:20 pm

I picked up a couple of tape drives today and would like to use them with my sgi gear. One drive is a dell branded dat drive, it works fine.

Also I have a dell branded DLT drive. On my dell server running linux everything works fine, i was able to write a large file to the tape and erase tapes no problem.

I have the dlt drive attached to my onyx2. it shows up in hinv and am able to issue commands to the drive with the mt command. I have tried erasing the tape with mt, no luck, it says the tape may be incompatible or read only. I can unload the drive and rewind the drive with mt.

I can not back up anything to the tape with tar either, i get a similar read only error, even though the tape is not set to read only.

Is there some kind of driver or something I would need to make this work? Ive never really had such an issue, most of the times i just plug in the drive and it just kinda works.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

foetz

Re: SGI IRIX tape drive compatibility questions

Unread postby foetz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:43 am

not all drives work by default. i remember we had a comprehensive thread about that with all kinds of hints including some hacking :P

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:14 am

You probably need to tweak the provided-by-IRIX DLT definition, which is located in /var/sysgen/master.d/scsi. If either of your tape drives appear on the Desktop as "Cartridge" drive rather than a "DAT" or "DLT" drive, you'll need to tweak the associated definition to take full advantage of the capabilities of the drive such as compression.

If it might prove helpful I went thru the same process with a DLT drive a few years back and described the process in this forum post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14001&p=110161&#p110161

There are a few member-contributed tape definition files scatter through the LTO Anyone thread, but most are for larger capacity drives.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks, that should be what i need to get things working.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”