Crimson thermal trip at boot

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
tyfighter

Crimson thermal trip at boot

Unread postby tyfighter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi guys,

I recently acquired this Crimson and have been having some issues with it. I've successfully had it boot three times, but only to the command monitor as the NVRAM boot settings seem to not be holding. (Is there a battery somewhere? I can't find one...)

The biggest issue right now is that on boot, it "therm trips", where the red mechanical switch right next to the power button and lights pops out.
I've uploaded a video of the behavior:

A few fans come on, and if you pause right at 0:26, you can see that one red LED labeled "B5A8" or "VVP" comes on, and the "POST code" display shows a solid "F".

I fully expect this to be a dying Cherokee PSU issue and the answer will be to find a PowerOne, but I wanted to ask if anyone had any thoughts?

The times it has booted were the first two times after shipping, but on the second boot it thermal tripped after about 5 minutes while I was in the command monitor. It wouldn't boot at all after that, even after resetting the thermal trip switch. I finally managed to get to boot again by pulling out the fuse in the PSU and simply just putting at back in. I have no idea how that resolved the issue...
:Crimson: :Octane2: :Tezro:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Crimson thermal trip at boot

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:52 pm

This may be a possible weird sounding solution, but my o200 exhibits the same.

To start, ensure you have serial from the AUX to another machine (not itself).

Flick the power switch (at the cable - on/off) on and leave it for 10 mins.

Fire it up. You never know.. oh and occasionally I have to wiggle the power switch (front panel) in a circular motion and caress it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

tyfighter

Unread postby tyfighter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm

uunix, thank you for teaching me the gift of patience.

It seems that I really do just need to wait about 5 minutes before powering it on after plugging it in, and flipping the PSU switch.

I'm now at the desktop with Atlantis running.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:22 am

My Crimson does this too, and it has the PowerOne PSU. It powers up fine, but after a couple of minutes it triggers the thermal switch next to the front panel power switch.

IIRC, there are two inputs to this protection circuit, one from the PSU, and one from a sensor located above the card cage. That sensor has a small PCB above the backplane with a blue cooling fin on it. There are voltage measuring pins right next to the protection circuit that triggers, so it's quite possible that the protection circuit is triggered if PSU voltages are way out of spec. But I haven't verified this.

This must be my last 4D deskside that didn't have it's PSU rebuilt, so this is my first suspect. I have a replacements for both the PSU and the thermal circuit, but have been busy with other things lately.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

tyfighter

Unread postby tyfighter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:38 am

From the Resurrecting a Jurassic Classic thread
there's this small board (the Fan Speed Controller) with a two-prong plug that dangles freely
This plug appears to be meant for the two-pronged receptacle just to the right of it in the photo, but it's currently jumped. Should that jumper be there, or should I remove it and plug in the cable?

This is the state of mine as well, there is a jumper across the pins, and there is a dangling cable there meant for it that routes its way back around to the PSU it seems.

I didn't reconnect this cable, even though pentium in that thread resolved that it's a temperature sensor of some kind and they reconnected theirs without issue. This must have been a common fix for some reason.

What's surprised me about this system is although it's clear it's been serviced numerous times, it's *very* clean on the inside, almost as if the fans and PSU are new.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”