O2 boot once then no idea why not

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dalplex

Re: O2 boot once then no idea why not

Unread postby Dalplex » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:31 am

I did mount it onto a working irix and I believe I can investigate anything from there but My knowledge is very limited.

Had I not seeing by myself that it had boot into login screen, I probably have already reinstalled the irix but the fun is to figure out what is going on and save it

Thanks for all input and suggestion but I am just too poor to understand.

The only thing I notice is the last line in env was random like kernname=rintenv. Or some time was kernname=s, or there was no this line at all.
:Indigo: :O2: :Octane: :Octane:

Dalplex

Unread postby Dalplex » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:32 am

IMG_0235.JPG

Dalplex

Unread postby Dalplex » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:02 am

After receiving the same panic while booting from CD-ROM. It is very clear the problem is on the hardware.
It boots up to login after removing Kingston ram, with only 64m of SGI ram in bank 1.
Now switch to software, I had mounted this disk under the Octane and had removed the pw of root but this login screen still expect root pw.
Tried miniroot from CD-ROM and confirmed the /etc/passws only has root and no password exit.
Opened the /etc/shadow and found there is something for root, so removed them and reboot.
But in the login, tried root, it says can't longing to this account. Then go back to miniroot and set passwd for root.
Boot again, all good

Return to “SGI: Hardware”