Multilink LED orange or green but never works

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
javier911

Multilink LED orange or green but never works

Unread postby javier911 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:20 pm

I have tried many different ways to get this multilink working but screen always stays black. The 1600sw itself has been confirmed working with a Number Nine card. I have noticed that sometimes when I plug in the power the LED is red but I read on the forum that also happens when you plug things in out of order so I don't know if that matters.

Sometimes the LED on the multilink blinks orange, sometimes it blinks green, sometimes it stays solid green but nothing ever appears on the monitor. I've tried a few different pieces of hardware, old motherboard with onboard Nvidia and one with AMD, a Radeon 5450 as single or dual monitor setups with a modern monitor. I have tried different DVI cables, I've tried playing with the A/D switch, tried different power supplies as I have a few.

When connected as a dual setup with a modern monitor the Windows PC does see and recognize the multilink by name, but it doesn't actually work. Although nothing ever appeared on the 1600sw I have noted that to get the LED on the multilink to turn green I needed to set the resolution to 800x600. Not sure if that's a sign of anything.

I am pretty sure this multilink is just no good anymore, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them before I finally call it quits. Thanks.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: Multilink LED orange or green but never works

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sun May 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Probably a case of capacitor failure inside of the board. Open it up and see if there's any leakage.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

javier911

Unread postby javier911 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm

I opened it and nothing stood out to me, nothing looked wrong but maybe I don't know what to look for exactly.
http://www.imagebam.com/image/3af47a550364385
http://www.imagebam.com/image/6a7107550364391
The output port looks physically perfect, clean and I don't see any pins missing or lifting.

If anyone can confirm what exact hardware they use with their multilink maybe I have the same and can check, though that's a long shot. In addition to what I mentioned in the original post I've also now tried an old laptop with nvidia 7900gs, and with a different confirmed working 1600sw. Same as always, even when the multilink LED turns solid green the monitor stays black.

I haven't tried analog but I don't think I have any cables or adapters that go from VGA to DVI, only the reverse. A lot of my hardware probably can send analog over DVI because they would work with DVI to VGA adapters, but I don't know how I can connect them to the multilink with a DVI cable and force them to send analog to test.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu May 25, 2017 4:20 pm

I have DVI cable that I used when trying to get an MLA to work on an Octane, now if I recall correctly, I had to remove two pins from the plug. I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue you have and I don't have the cables at home, but it may help if you search Octane + MLA? It could be a red hearing though.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

javier911

Unread postby javier911 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:29 pm

uunix wrote:I have DVI cable that I used when trying to get an MLA to work on an Octane, now if I recall correctly, I had to remove two pins from the plug. I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue you have and I don't have the cables at home, but it may help if you search Octane + MLA? It could be a red hearing though.

I have read about that, on this forum, something about pin removal and EDID I think it was. I figured this had nothing to do with my situation and I cannot find it now. But maybe I can find which pins to remove and try it.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri May 26, 2017 12:22 am

http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16729338&p=7376443&hilit=octane+mla#p7376443
I think there is more somewhere else though.
It appears this mod, is to stop Irix changing the resolution as it stops auto detecting the screen, so maybe, it won't help you, me thinks.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

javier911

Unread postby javier911 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:19 pm

uunix wrote:http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16729338&p=7376443&hilit=octane+mla#p7376443
I think there is more somewhere else though.
It appears this mod, is to stop Irix changing the resolution as it stops auto detecting the screen, so maybe, it won't help you, me thinks.

Thanks, but yeah it probably won't make any difference in my case.

I guess this MLA is probably junk, but I'll try some more hardware and see what happens. I have a few Number Nine cards but I can't really find a way to make use of the monitors with them as those cards are so terribly outdated now, it's not just performance but also compatibility.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”