Two PSU failures over a weekend.

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Two PSU failures over a weekend.

Unread postby uunix » Mon May 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Well, thank the lord for kubatyszko's FUEL PSU adaptor, it would be really good if we could get a solution for OCTANE PSU's.

On Friday, I decided to rest my OCTANE 2 at work and carried out a clean shutdown.
On the same day, the evening, I got home and installed my DM6 card in my 460Watt powered FUEL.
As mentioned in another post, I had to take the PSU for the FUEL from a donor machine (430Watt) as it just wouldn't power on.
Anyway, having put the bad PSU back in the donor, it did power up a day later. I'm not too worried about that FUEL though. It did identify a problem that occurred some months back, whereby removing the kettle lead caused the PSU to fail.
Back to work on Monday, I fired up the OCTANE.. or rather not.. this won't power on now, I get the power click on inserting the kettle lead, but alas nothing. It must be noted, that this was a clean shutdown & power off on Friday, no lead removal, just a shutdown -y -g0 -p.
So I've had to get in the loft tonight and pull out the spare Cherokee PSU I had and will install tomorrow. That though is my last spare. I have now built up a collection of busted OCTANE PSUs.. none though the Cherokee model.

We could really do with a fix for these OCTANE PSU's. They are going to disappear soon.

Anyway, things come in Three's, just waiting for the third!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: Two PSU failures over a weekend.

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Mon May 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Yeah I've a few spare ones and stockpiled some dead ones I plan to eventually find someone to fix.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Kotomo

Unread postby Kotomo » Mon May 15, 2017 1:57 pm

I also have two bad Octane PSU's that had failed before I inherited my collection from the work place. One does the exact same thing as yours, it clicks when you plug it into mains, but won't power on the machine after that. I've opened it up, to see if it's anything obvious but nothing visually stands out.

I've fixed power supplies in an LG LCD TV and two Dell monitors I currently use. However, the TV was dead obvious due to swollen capacitors. Replaced those and the TV worked great. The two Dell monitors had documented fixes out on other hardware forums. In the Dell 3008WFP, someone found it to be a shottky diode that had failed. Fixed with an $8 part. The Dell 2407WFP had a whole list of parts, but all still fairly inexpensive.

So far I've only relied on the work of others and I enjoy the work of soldering on new components. It doesn't mean much now, but I intend to tackle my dead power supplies in the future.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2000: :O2000:

gijoe77

Unread postby gijoe77 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:15 am

you can add me to the list of people with a dead Octane PSU that plans on one days trying to fix it. I did open it up once but I was pretty overwhelmed with the amount of stuff in there...

Return to “SGI: Hardware”