Indigo 2 panic with ethernet

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Re: Indigo 2 panic with ethernet

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue May 09, 2017 2:53 am

japes wrote:kind of wish I had a 10000 badge but oh well...

Ian sells all the various badges for a fiver each, and I'm sure a few others will have some going spare as well if you want to complete the look :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Toxiccameron

Re: Indigo 2 panic with ethernet

Unread postby Toxiccameron » Thu May 11, 2017 6:36 pm

japes wrote:I upgraded my R4400 Impact (Ready) to R10000 with an ebay motherboard several months ago. Added a Solid Impact board from ebay too so it's actually Impact - kind of wish I had a 10000 badge but oh well...

Your problem sounds like a bad network interface sadly and probably won't change much with an AUI transceiver. Hope I'm wrong, but it should have worked - 1gig port on your laptop would be auto mdi-x so no crossover cable should be required. You could try changing your ram around and reseating the CPU just to be sure it wasn't a hardware problem in those areas. Or maybe you do have a cable problem and the PROM code is bad at handling it, for that I would try some simple switch and a known good cable - though it sounds like you've probably been down that road already.

Tried the transceiver and for a few tries it said it couldn't find the server but eventually I started to get the same error. I'm out of options and I think I'm going to take a bit of a break considering how much a pain in the ass this computer has been for me. If a new motherboard is really my only option then I guess I will have to do that.
:Indigo2IMP:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”