CPU problem - SGI Indy

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
DiegoSGI

CPU problem - SGI Indy

Unread postby DiegoSGI » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi everyone, I am writing because I need your help for an SGI Indy R4400 200 MHz. What happened was that it occurred to me to remove the cpu of the module, I mean the processor .. but then when I wanted to put it back, it was difficult to keep it attached to the base, since it has no lever. The processor was almost loose, so leave it and put the heatsink on. Connect the Indy, turn on the red led, but when I want to turn it on, nothing happens. The Indy no longer turns on .. what surely happens is that the processor is not placed correctly. Maybe something else might have happened.
Can somebody help me? Is there a manual that shows it? I will thank you..

:Indy:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: CPU problem - SGI Indy

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Easy. check the underside for bent pins. Gently straighten any out with thin needlenose pliers.

Checked? That gold tab on the edge of the CPU should go where the notched area of the socket is. Put it in, apply fresh thermal paste or thin pad, and put the heatsink/clamps back on.

To reseat the module, refer to the two plastic tabs on the underside and slide them into notches in the case, then align and press the contacts into place, screw it in to secure it. If it doesn't work, you may have zapped the board.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Pulling PGA packages without bending the pins is rather hard without special extractor tools.
Straightening the pins is no cakewalk either, but there is an excellent tool for that, too.
http://www.edsyn.com/product/WP286.html
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

DiegoSGI

Unread postby DiegoSGI » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Finally I could not make the module work. Try to straighten a single pin that I saw bent, but the others I see well .. you think that when I removed the processor from the socket I could bend some pins? There is a jumper next to the power connector, maybe the only jumper on the entire motherboard, what does it do?
Raion-Fox: sorry for my little English, but what do you mean "zapped the board"?
:Indy:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”