Onyx2 temp error

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

Onyx2 temp error

Unread postby MrBill » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Went to fire up the onyx2 and it turns off with a temp warning. Kinda odd, it was running quite a while earlier with no issue. If anything i would have thought it cooled down by now. It had power to it, but with the key off. Both the orange fan light and the orange temp light are lit and i get the temp warning on the lcd on startup.

Are the fans easy to get to on this? I have never taken it apart, how would i go about checking the fans?

Took out the fan tray and all the fans spin freely with no sign of being blocked....
Last edited by foetz on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

foetz

Re: Onyx2 temp error

Unread postby foetz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:55 pm

what onyx2 is it? deskside or rack?

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:27 pm

It is a deskside. Took it all apart. Clean as can be. Nothing blocked or dusty when looking through the top air intake grate.

It appears to be starting up now without powering off. I removed the power supply and fan tray to look around but found nothing out of place.

Is there a utility to check temperature and fan speeds?
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 am

MrBill wrote:Is there a utility to check temperature and fan speeds?

iirc that was only possible with the 3x00 models

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Not sure what to do then. It has been running for hours without issue.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:04 am

A broken fan in the fan tray will make the system engage 'fast fan' mode. IIRC the MSC 'fan' command prints a 3x3 matrix of fan status chars.

I think the Onyx2 will switch to fast fan operation at an ambient temperature of around 25c and in a closed room without airco that usually doesn't take very long.

Otherwise, every Onyx2 I've ever seen prints a 'too many over temp interrupts' (or similar) message when you power it down.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Return to “SGI: Hardware”