Altrix 4700 Teardown Video

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
leaknoil

Altrix 4700 Teardown Video

Unread postby leaknoil » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:38 pm

Not sure this has been posted here already or not but, here ya go

Dodoid

Re: Altrix 4700 Teardown Video

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:49 pm

I don't think it's been posted, but I suspect a lot of us have seen it. It's quite sad seeing the Altix torn apart. You may truly say that it's not really vintage tech yet, and it's true it's hardly modern. It may even have awesome scrap metal value. Still, that's what people who chucked out Onyxes in the 2000s or built PCs inside Octane cases a few years later said, and now that most of the remaining systems are with collectors or a few large resellers and the systems aren't being decommissioned left right and center it's certainly made them harder to come across them. Every tech product goes through a period of being considered worthless before it becomes valuable again, if it ever does. Thankfully, SGIs (at least pre-rackable ones) will soon all be past that phase. Altix is one of the last, thankfully, and the days of older systems being decommissioned all the time are mostly behind us.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

leaknoil

Unread postby leaknoil » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:13 pm

It's really hard to be a collector of stuff that draws that sort of power as much as you may want to be. At least a 2000 or Octane you can actually turn on. I really really really want a Sun E10000. I have nowhere to put one nor could I ever afford to turn it on. Alas these big beasts are just to much for most of us.

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:30 am

So this was scraped :( Shame, although understandable. o.0 At least they did a tear down vid so we could see the insides and this Altix won't be completely forgotten about.

Poor thing. Since there aren't many of these about and the specs match-ish, I'm assuming that this was the Altix on ebay for the last x number of years.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16729760&p=7380882&hilit=altix+4700#p7380882

Return to “SGI: Hardware”