Irix 6.5 partition recovery, please help

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
kysioo

Re: Irix 6.5 partition recovery, please help

Unread postby kysioo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:59 am

devv wrote:
Then, you can make additional copies of that image and play around with it (you can run fdisk and all other commands on it etc.) to figure out if anything is salvageable. E.g. you can even run a very crude, but workable, command such as: strings disk-image.img | grep ':0:0:Super-User:/:' . If this gives a positive result it would indicate that the disk contents were not overwritten (this Super-User string is an excerpt from a default SGI /etc/passwd file, and if it is found anywhere in the disk image it would mean that the data wasn't overwritten with zeros or something).

Yeah i was planning course of action now, similar thing crossed my mind actually, i was trying that disk (i mentioned that before) on parted magic bootable linux, that i often use for situations like this, but after reading a liitle about it i'm not so 100% sure now about its full xfs support .... maybe u could point me towards best distro for the job...?

devv

Unread postby devv » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:37 am

kysioo wrote:Yeah i was planning course of action now, similar thing crossed my mind actually, i was trying that disk (i mentioned that before) on parted magic bootable linux, that i often use for situations like this, but after reading a liitle about it i'm not so 100% sure now about its full xfs support .... maybe u could point me towards best distro for the job...?

In general for fdisk, just to see what partition layout is on your disk now, you can use any distro (you don't need the XFS driver at all).

And for mounting the XFS partitions etc., I generally use Debian/Ubuntu and have never had any issues.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

kysioo

Unread postby kysioo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:52 am

tommorow i'll go back to this struggle of mine, but before i go, i have a question, for partition recovery i use pretty often this parted magic pack, pretty easy for me since it has nice x, and im not so super when it comes to shell commands :) , but i'm not so sure about it's full xfs support, which distro would be convienient for me, this parted magic i ran just from cd put in some old server (since you don't find scsi, in normal computers, theese days ) if i have to i can even install some fresh distro in that server, just to get the right tool for my recovery.... point me in the right direction please :)

devv wrote:In general for fdisk, just to see what partition layout is on your disk now, you can use any distro (you don't need the XFS driver at all).

And for mounting the XFS partitions etc., I generally use Debian/Ubuntu and have never had any issues.

so yes i'm gonna first install newest ubuntu desktop on that server, and then ill do raw copy of that drive and then ill try to recover this irix, i think its best what i can do in that situation
Last edited by foetz on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged

tomvos
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tomvos » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:58 am

I use ACARD SCSI2SATA adapters to run an Samsung EVO 840 SSD in my O2. From time to time, the volume header gets garbled. I don't know if it's the SSD or the adapter. Anyway, I use the following procedure to restore the header, and keep the data on the disk:

Code: Select all

Error Message
dks0d1s8: Drive not ready: Medium not present
dks0d1s8: drive is not ready
Unable to execute pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/sash: media not loaded

No volume header on device: pci(0)scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/sash.
Autoboot failed
Unable to continue; press to return to the menu:

From the menu
Install System Software
Local CD-ROM

Wait for Inst 4.1 Main Menu
Inst> 13. admin ...
Admin> 6. sh [cmd]

Defiant 1# fx -x
fx: "device-name" = (dksc)
fx: ctrl# = (0)
fx: drive# = (1)
fx: lun# = (0)

fx> [l]abel
fx> [sy]nc
fx> ..
fx> [exi]t

Leave the shell.
Defiant 2# exit

Admin> 21. return
Inst> 14. quit
Ready to restart the system. Restart { (y)es, (n)o, (sh)ell, (h)elp}: y

So, you might try to connect a SCSI CD-ROM to your octane and boot into the installation tools.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.

kysioo

Unread postby kysioo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Well after a quite a hold (easter vacation and all) i got back to the problem at hand,

i've deployed an ubuntu platform with sas scsi, did first dd raw copy, and played little bit with the bastard,

fdisk sees him as onallocated space - dos , gdisk doesn;t even start, on gui gparted hovewer when option recover/find file systems is chosen sees ext/ reiserFs or XFS parition 8,5gb , but when i click explore it's unable to

ive searched a bit for commands and found xfs_repair - looked very promising :

Where device is the device file for a disk partition or logical volume that contains an XFS file system, for example /dev/xlv/xlv0. It must not be mounted.

The following example shows the output from running xfs_repair on a clean file system:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...

Phase 2 - zero log...
- scan file system freespace and inode maps...
- found root inode chunk
Phase 3 - for each AG...
- scan and clear agi unlinked lists...
- process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
- agno = 0
- agno = 1
- process newly discovered inodes...
Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
- setting up duplicate extent list...
- clear lost+found (if it exists) ...
- check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
- agno = 0
- agno = 1
Phase 5 - rebuild AG headers and trees...
- reset superblock counters...
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
- ensuring existence of lost+found directory
- traversing file system starting at / ...
- traversal finished ...
- traversing all unattached subtrees ...
- traversals finished ...
- moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
Phase 7 - verify and correct link counts...

hovewer he fails to find that superblock, and backup superbloack from phase 1, futher read i found that if xfs_repair fails at phase1 you're in many ways f**ked - use your backup they say :-P

i've tried other linux commands mentioned above by you guys but things like xfs_dump/restore are ment for backup/backup recovery/backup repair etc

I think i've depleted my options basing off linux.... i think my last resort is to try to go back to irix and try to salvage this using PROM (of which i have zero knowledge/expierence) or with that :

robespierre wrote:The volhdr is the first (zeroth?) sector of the disk, where the partition table is stored. If it is not valid, you can assume that the partition information is lost, so the computer has no way of knowing where the filesystems are located, and you cannot use xfs_db or list (ls) the partitions. [xfsdump is a backup tool, and not really apropos.]
Windows PCs use the same disk sector as a different, incompatible table called a MBR (master boot record). If Windows tools do not see a MBR on the disk, they blindly assume it is empty. So what probably happened is that the Windows recovery program overwrote sector 0 with its own MBR, trashing the IRIX volhdr.
There is no need to copy a volhdr from another disk, since it wouldn't have the correct partition information. What you would have to do is first: (A) find the location of the first XFS partition (the first sector on the disk that begins with "XFSB"); this could be the hard part if you lack access to unix tools! This sector also has the partition size, albeit encoded.
(B) netboot fx from a TFTP server
(C) use the repartition/rootdrive and repartition/resize fx commands to change the partition map so that the start and size of the root partition matches the XFS partition on the disk.
(D) after checking that the partition map is correct, save it to disk with label/sync

thing is though ...I took that hdd with me home and left that big machine with sgi workstation in warehouse....

i was thiking since the dd image of that is 9gb (2,2 compressed) maybe one of You guys could try to run some medicine on IRIX enviroment?

I'm uploading compressed dd on cloud storage now I'll post the link shortly

kysioo

Unread postby kysioo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:59 am

that's my dd image compressed :
https://mega.nz/#!590B1L4Y

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:27 pm

kysioo wrote:that's my dd image compressed :